Big Muff question

deluxe74

• Members

No. It's quite a bit muddier. If you want the sound of the big NYC version, there isn't another option aside from the big NYC version.

You CAN, however, rehouse it quite easily. It has a relatively small circuitboard, and the knobs aren't soldered on to the main board.

I've seen rehouses that make them really, really small.

Personally, despite the extra room it takes, I love my NYC Big Muff. I also love the mojo of the big housing. :thu:

• Members

I find the Little Big Muff is great for that Santana type tone if you set everything at about 10 o'clock. I like it for that smooth Les Paul sound when playing single note lines above the 7th fret or so but it gets pretty muddy on chords down around the first 5 frets.

• Members

There are other manufacturers that make Muff-style pedals in smaller enclosures. Skreddy pedals make about a million Big Muff variants, but are a little pricey.

BYOC just brought out their new version Large Beaver kit, which is in an MXR size box, clones either a Ram's Head or Triangle-era Muff, and also includes a switch to give you a stock Muff, flat mids, mid boost and tone bypass. You can order these pedals pre-built or build the kit yourself, which isn't as complicated as you might think.

Archived