What the F#%@ is going on with NovaMusik???

• Members

:mad: :mad:

Ordered a lucsious new SFX-6 about two weeks ago. The payment went through right away, but then I get an email telling me that they have none in stock. The web site listed them as "in stock", of course. They inform me that I'll have to wait a week for them to restock. I don't like it much, but I wait patiently. A week passes and no word from them. I send an email. I send another email. Now they aren't even responding to my messages. This is so lame. I expected more from Nova.

[edit] Follow up style: my order finally arrived today. It took a while for them to restock, but they literally shipped mine within a few hours of when they got the shipment (they supplied me with Elektron's tracking number so I could watch the shipment arrive at Nova). They gave me free 2-day service and threw in not one but TWO free softsynths (Waldorf Edition and Minimonsta), so I'm a totally happy customer. Oh yeah, and the SFX-6 ain't bad, neither.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Almost the same experience here. Two weeks ago I put an order for Behringer BCR2000, they were the only ones having them in stock. Knowing my luck, I called them on the phone BEFORE making the order and someone on the other end told me they do have them in stock. Three days later I call they said it went out of stock and that it'll be back next week. Oh, and why was it showing in stock, brace yourselves, I was told "maybe there was one unit in repair"??!!!

A week later I sent them an e-mail asking them for a specific availability date, I got a reply saying that Behringer estimates it will take 5 more weeks. I then asked them to cancel the order.

The sad thing is that it still shows on the web site that the item is in stock!!!!

• Members

I thought Elektron only made a finite amount of the SFX-6, and that they were only continuing with the SFX-60 from there. I don't remember where I read/heard this, but it was a couple of years ago. If this is true, I wonder if they can even get them. Who knows, it may not be though, or maybe it was, but they reconsidered. Maybe it was just a dream... :D Anyway, that completely sucks. I've never had a problem with Nova, but nothing pisses me off more than things being listed as in stock, only to find out they aren't when I order. It's happened to me a few times elsewhere.

• Members

Wow, that sucks. So when you cancelled the order, did they at least take care of THAT quickly? I'm thinking about doing the same, since apparently their "expected restock date" was completely made up.

To be honest, I haven't even checked. They did not charge the c. card, just put an authorization for the amount. I only sent them an e-mail asking them to cancel the order, I'll check with them tomorrow.

To be completely fair, they seem to be nice and cooperative either on the phone or thru e-mail. It's just the web site management/updating process that needs more attention.

• Members

I thought Elektron only made a finite amount of the SFX-6, and that they were only continuing with the SFX-60 from there. I don't remember where I read/heard this, but it was a couple of years ago. If this is true, I wonder if they can even get them.

They are / were still making them recently, there were a couple in stock on the electron website a few weeks ago.

• Members

i recently dealt with novamusik

and my large order went through perfectly.

prompt, efficient, friendly, they threw in magazines too.

AND the order was to Canada / Toronto.

I hadn't bought from them in awhile,

some of their people have switched,

but everything was still great for me.

• Members

You would think any real store would tie the "in-stock" field on their website directly into their inventory database. Should be a trivial thing to do.

Spoken like a true non-developer!:rolleyes:

Yes, their system should have been designed that way from the start. But Nova Music has been around a long time, since before the internet storefront boom. Who knows what ghastly legacy system is controlling their inventory.

• Members

I love Nova as much as the next guy, in fact I'm hoping to pick up my TI there soon. That said, ordering direct from Elektron is pretty much a no-brainer. You basically remove the step where they send it to Nova first.

Also... the last time I complained about Nova here (coincidentally about an Elektron order), I got a call from Tony (the owner) on the same day and he took care of me. Gave me an awesome price on a Voyager a few weeks later too.

• Members

I wouldn't let a retailer charge my credit card with a full payment with order unless it WAS in stock. If I didn't receive it within a week after the order, I would be on the phone to them. If I got a lame response that they weren't in stock now, I would DEMAND the charge be taken off my CC. If they don't, call your CC company and tell them you want it removed from your charge.

That said, you need to know the retailers "return" and refund policy BEFORE you order from them. In my state, PA, the return and refund policy is set by the retailer. If the retailer fails to deliver the product in a reasonable amount of time (6 weeks is NOT reasonable) you have the right to demand a refund to your credit card. I wouldn't do business with them ever again.

Mike T.

• Members

Well, I decided to order from Nova rather than direct from Elektron to save $40 and to theoretically get it quicker. Shipping from Wisconsin should be quicker than shipping from Sweden, except for this little out-of-stock problem.

And believe me, I would have demanded a refund long ago, but I really need an SFX-6.

• Members

Spoken like a true non-developer!

Yes, their system should have been designed that way from the start. But Nova Music has been around a long time, since before the internet storefront boom. Who knows what ghastly legacy system is controlling their inventory.

Ahhemm.... only 17 years worth. Any real developer knows that for a company that small their inventory system, if they even have one, isn't going to be complicated. It wouldn't take more than a month or two to completely rebuild it from scratch using any of the standard industry back end datbases that are trivial to link into a website. Add maybe another month to build in order processing.

Seriously, if you think a company with about 3 employees is going to have a complex legacy inventory system then that is spoken like a true non-developer. The real problem is probably a lack of technical talent.

• Members

I wonder just how man SKU's their actually have. Accessories, guitar strings, cables, foot effects.....all the small stuff can really add up. However, how about keeping track of the big ticket items, or items over say 200 bucks so that when people call to order something, you know if you have it or you don't. And how about updating your website to reflect that? Don't have the time to do that? Then take it off your website and state "Call for availability".

I've never done business with Nova, but after reading what they're doing to a paying customer, I won't.

Mike T.

• Members

Ahhemm.... only 17 years worth. Any real developer knows that for a company that small their inventory system, if they even have one, isn't going to be complicated. It wouldn't take more than a month or two to completely rebuild it from scratch using any of the standard industry back end datbases that are trivial to link into a website. Add maybe another month to build in order processing.

Seriously, if you think a company with about 3 employees is going to have a complex legacy inventory system then that is spoken like a true non-developer. The real problem is probably a lack of technical talent.

Not to get in a peeing contest with you, but I've been in the biz at least as long as you have. Coupla old software farts we are. ;)

I would be willing to bet Nova is just a bit larger than 3 employees. Anyway, the complexity of the inventory system is determined by the breadth of products they offer, not the number of employees.

And the two month rewrite job you describe implies a development team on staff (for a music retailer? yeah right!) OR outsourcing it and getting a bill for $50K and up, plus downtime and disruption when you switch the system over and retrain everybody. Inertia is a powerful dissuader sometimes.

But that's all beside the point. We don't know their situation. Maybe they do have a kick butt software system and they are just evil. :)

• Members

I've had similar experience with Musician's Friend. Twice now, I've ordered something that the site claimed to be "in stock". The first time, the order was delayed for no apparent reason. I eventually called them and asked, hey, I ordered that days agao, when are you gonna ship it?" They shipped it the next day. So much for paying for the 2nd-day FedEx when I ordered it.

The second time, I got a confirmation email claiming they shipped it, and then a few days later another email saying, "oh, that's out of stock until June 21." It's just a keyboard stand, so I'm letting it ride. However, these events will make me think twice about ordering from them again.

• Members

Ok, so now I have to set the record straight. Tony (owner) called me this morning and was really eager to get me set up right. Not sure what happened with the communication breakdown, but once I got him on the phone in person, he was really cool and hooked me up. He explained the situation and it seems like they have been having a hard time getting info from Elektron about shipment dates. He upgraded me to 2 day shipping at no charge and threw in a free softsynth to sweeten the deal. I still don't have my SFX-6 but at least now I know that they actually do care about customer service. I wouldn't hesitate to do business with them again (and I will)...but next time I think I'll call to verify items in stock!

Long story short: Nova is good folks, can't hold a little technological mishap against them.

• Members

Yes they are good folks. I called to order a b-stock keyboard and they were out of stock, so they sent me a NEW-in-the-box keyboard at the b-stock price. They were very friendly and cool. They just seem to have trouble keeping track of their inventory and web site.

• Members

I've never purchased form them but I did go to the site and look around. The synth modules page was very interesting. Along with normal offerings from all the big online stores I found units from Creamware, Moog, DSI, Doepfer, Elektron, Future Retro, JoMoX, Macbeth, MFB, SE, and Vermona. Big names using a profite maximizing formula will never carry all these brands yet Novamusik has most of these in stock.

Someone with buying power at this store really likes synths. Real synths. Not just mass market ROMplers. To me that is a good reason to consider buying from them.

Glad you got things worked out. I may just buy my next synth from Novamusik. If so, I will have choices that I never had before. :)

I wonder if they have a good repair tech to support these synths?

• Members

Someone brought up Musicians friend, I bought something from them and they shipped it to a place I had lived at 4 years ago and 2 moves back. Bad part of it I had to track the thing down and it was only worth about $2k sitting on someone's apartment doorstep . They showed that it was shipped to me at my new address, dead wrong on there part. I had ordered from them quite a few times before that mixup two and they got it right.

I have bought from Nova and the stuff showed up and very well packed. I don't think a pay before ship is the normal for retailer's.

• Members

I've got nothing but praise for Nova's excellent service! I've never been charged until the item actually shipped. I've gotten a ton of stuff from them and will keep doing so - they carry a lot of "botique synths" at non-botique prices.

Another good buncha guys is Analogue Haven in Pomona, CA for very similar reasons!

• Members

Unless I'm buying direct (usually modular gear, etc.) I order from either Nova or Analogue Haven. I've had great dealings with both of them, and wouldn't hesitate to send my money their way. Still though, if they knew they were having issues with ship dates, why list three in stock? That would be my complaint. Very cool that they fixed the situation though. Free software never hurts. :) Glad to hear it worked out.

Archived