Ideas for a good br00talz distortion pedal?

sheepeH

• Members

Im building up my pedalboard and besides overdrive, I might need a brootal distortion for the ocassional heavy riffing jams, you know, a-la pantera, megadeth, dream theater - that kind of stuff.

I was looking at the EHX Metal Muff with Top Boost and It seems to have nice reviews but I need to go check it out, but I want some more ideas for distortion pedals. Id like to keep it sub

Thanks!

• Members

A bit over your budget, but a landmine?

There's nothing more over the top if you ask me...

Hardly. I had one and sold it. It was OK, but over the top? I thought it was more of an 80s gain.

Both my Demonizer and AMT DM-3 are definitely more over the top.

• Members

Damage Control Solid Metal destroys.

Edit: It is the only one which will afford you the versatility to do all the bands in your list, and is the only distortion pedal in this thread which nails the tube feel and clarity... because it uses two EH12AX7 tubes at 250V to supply its distortion.

• Members

Agreed, kinda though finding one used, and new is way over my price-league.

Crxshdxmmy thats really a good idea. with 3 metal zones i could really shred teh master of puppets solo. m/

Fair enough, but I promise you it would be worth saving up :)

If you can't afford that, have you tried the Metal Muff? Get the full-sized one with top boost, but be careful how you use the TB feature. It's got TOO much treble, so use it at low settings unless you want to sound like a fleet of angry men beating small dogs. Unless that's the sound you're going for... But the best reason to get it (if you don't care about the TB foot switch and adjustment control) is that it has a fully-featured 3-band EQ that is infinitely more useful in shaping your tone than the smaller versions' limited tone controls.

I have one, was using it pretty extensively before I got the Solid Metal.

The other good option is a Zoom Tri-Metal, which you could find used between $80 and $120, but which is discontinued and only made for a very limited run so kind of hard to find. It has the most incredibly tight, crushing distortion character of any pedal I've tried, although there is a fine grain to the sound which you will either love or hate. It's like the Peavey XXX of distortion pedals - you either dig its sound and think it's the heaviest thing there is, or you think it sounds like shit.

• Members

I'm getting good results in the br00talz department using the top channel on my MXR Doubleshot. See if you can't find one of those on the 'bay (they're discontinued). Otherwise try the MXR Dime Distortion ($120 from MF), which uses the same circuit as the Doubleshot's top channel.

Discontinued? Man, I got an EQ they're still making the day I was wondering whether to get it or the doubleshot. Should have got it, it's a great pedal.

I didn't think it did "brutal" very well, awfully compressed and kind of grainy/treble-heavy, but if that's your sound then fine. What I loved about it was that it could be used extremely well to boost nearly any amp because of its immense range of gain from hardly any to WAY over the top, and because it had a pretty flexible EQ.

Damn, I'll have to find one used.

• Members

Discontinued? Man, I got an EQ they're still making the day I was wondering whether to get it or the doubleshot. Should have got it, it's a great pedal.

I didn't think it did "brutal" very well, awfully compressed and kind of grainy/treble-heavy, but if that's your sound then fine. What I loved about it was that it could be used extremely well to boost nearly any amp because of its immense range of gain from hardly any to WAY over the top, and because it had a pretty flexible EQ.

I don't get any grainy/treble-heavy-ness from it at all.... :idk:

• Members

Dont buy distortion pedals for the name like METALzone and Heavy METAL!

A good ol Proco rat can get the brootals, i use my Shredmaster for my Br00talz.

It does it well!

Not that I disagree- but, calling attention to the irony of saying the name doesn't mean much then noting you use a shredmaster. Really? :)

There isn't anything wrong with putting the intended genre in the name. Helps people know what to look for.

You know what's a great pedal but cheap? The fucking Behringer Ultra Metal. You know, the pink plastic one. You think I'm kidding, but it's twice as good as the MT-2, has a much ballsier gain character with less nasal-ness going on. Kind of like a cross between the MT-2 and the Zoom Tri-Metal. The MT-2 is a two-stage distortion circuit, the Tri-Metal is a three-stage distortion circuit. I'm noting that because some people think the Tri-Metal is a MT-2 clone with better parts. It isn't, not at all. The schematic for the Tri-Metal is available from experimentalistsanonymous.com, and while there are some similarities in the tone stack, etc., they are very different pedals.

So try the pink plastic Ultra Metal and see if you like what it has going on. I'm probably going to buy one just for the look of it, even though I have all the dirt I'll ever need already. It really does have a very good sound - ballsy, crunchy, brutal, and the bass control really kicks your cabinet in the teeth, and a price that's hard to beat.

• Members

when i found out that the doubleshot was going to be discontinued I bough three on the musicians friend sale they had for $79.99. that pedal is killer. I use two on my board and keep the other two just in case.

wish I would of done the same with the Zoom Tri Metal, love that pedal also.

• Members

when i found out that the doubleshot was going to be discontinued I bough three on the musicians friend sale they had for $79.99. that pedal is killer. I use two on my board and keep the other two just in case.

wish I would of done the same with the Zoom Tri Metal, love that pedal also.

I've just got the one, but I'm probably not going to be selling it. It's in awesome shape, and I've got the schematic in case something ever goes wrong with it. Nothing else sounds quite like it.

Currently looking at all the stores to see if anyone still has a Doubleshot in stock... Like I said, I don't really care for its high-gain sound, but there aren't many pedals around that are more versatile as something to hit your amp with to make it howl.

• Members

I've just got the one, but I'm probably not going to be selling it. It's in awesome shape, and I've got the schematic in case something ever goes wrong with it. Nothing else sounds quite like it.

Currently looking at all the stores to see if anyone still has a Doubleshot in stock... Like I said, I don't really care for its high-gain sound, but there aren't many pedals around that are more versatile as something to hit your amp with to make it howl.

Yeah, I have a Zoom Tri Metal also, it doesnt leave my house.

Try musictoyz.com, they might have a doubleshot in stock.

• Members

Not that I disagree- but, calling attention to the irony of saying the name doesn't mean much then noting you use a
shredmaster
. Really?
:)

There isn't anything wrong with putting the intended genre in the name. Helps people know what to look for.

You know what's a great pedal but cheap? The fucking Behringer Ultra Metal. You know, the pink plastic one. You think I'm kidding, but it's twice as good as the MT-2, has a much ballsier gain character with less nasal-ness going on. Kind of like a cross between the MT-2 and the Zoom Tri-Metal. The MT-2 is a two-stage distortion circuit, the Tri-Metal is a three-stage distortion circuit. I'm noting that because some people think the Tri-Metal is a MT-2 clone with better parts. It isn't, not at all. The schematic for the Tri-Metal is available from experimentalistsanonymous.com, and while there are some similarities in the tone stack, etc., they are very different pedals.

So try the pink plastic Ultra Metal and see if you like what it has going on. I'm probably going to buy one just for the look of it, even though I have all the dirt I'll ever need already. It really does have a very good sound - ballsy, crunchy, brutal, and the bass control really kicks your cabinet in the teeth, and a price that's hard to beat.

Thats not what i mean at all, The ShredMaster is far from a metal pedal,

I mean, that you dont need metal pedals that say they have extra gain and all that shite.

Have you noticed most metal players dont use high gain distortion pedals, they use a light overdrive to add to amp overdrive, which isnt extremely br00tal anyway. My point is..You can get just as good if not better metal tones from a pedal that isn't sold to be a metal pedal.

Archived