Waldorf Stromberg: Worth the wait?

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It's unlikely I'd find the Stromberg compelling. Everyone and their Aunt Jeffrey knows how I feels about my Q :love:

The Strom would have to be its replacement at this point, and NI's Massive is more than satisfying my wavetable cravings.

The Solaris is, as they say, a squirrel of an entirely different license plate. :wave:

• Members

Assuming both reach production, they are both companies with great pedigrees. I find it somewhat silly and useless to compare at this point...Personally, I lean towards the Waldorf, but that's just based on my long history with their products, my familiarity with their interfaces, and the fact that they have a new high end synth coming out excites me more at this point. But I may wind up with both or either, who knows...

• Members

Assuming both reach production, they are both companies with great pedigrees. I find it somewhat silly and useless to compare at this point...Personally, I lean towards the Waldorf, but that's just based on my long history with their products, my familiarity with their interfaces, and the fact that they have a new high end synth coming out excites me more at this point. But I may wind up with both or either, who knows...

I'd actually rather compare it to fellow German synth, the access virus. Besides, the solaris IS a completely different beast. Its modular and the stromberg isn't.

• Members

I'd definitely wait and at least read their manuals first to see how they work.

One thing in favor of the waldorf is its interface. Waldorf interfaces are extremely logic and make programming a breeze. If the sound of the Q would be more of my taste (like the original microwave for example), it'd probably be the best synth ever for me. Programming it just flows.

On the other hand modular systems need to have a very well thought out interface, otherwise they'll become boring after a while (i think this happens a bit with the spectralis for example. A simple analog monosynth would have made the box a bit more attractive maybe (not necessarily better).

So yeah, my main doubt at this point is how the solaris will be in terms of functionality and ease of use. I know the waldorf will be a delight for sure, and this factor is becoming more and more important for me. It's either fun or I won't even bother anymore.

• 1 year later...

Archived