Brad Paisley's guitar effects on the Grammys?

Kassanova

• Members

The sincerity and earnestness that was so important in Country music is now contrived and false.

That sums up the state of country music to a tee. My mom will show me a country song that touches her emotionally and usually I have to leave half way through to puke. The lyrics can be so overly simple that I wonder if my mom is really a mongoloid in disguise. Haven't they every heard of speaking metaphorically?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
That sums up the state of country music to a tee. My mom will show me a country song that touches her emotionally and usually I have to leave half way through to puke. The lyrics can be so overly simple that I wonder if my mom is really a mongoloid in disguise. Haven't they every heard of speaking metaphorically?

Some people don't need a message covered in artsy poetic crap. :thu:

• Members

Now I am in no way a fan of country music, but I give respect when it's due. Brad Paisley can play a guitar extremely well. Do i listen to his songs for the terrible themes and horrible lyrics?...no. I listen to them because he has one of the best guitar tones around, and is a guy who when he plays you can tell that he's giving everything. The time warp video off page 1 of this thread proves that.

• Members

He's a monster player no doubt, so I'm psyched about a Paisley instrumental album, but his regular recordings are generic Nashville CountryPop. The sincerity and earnestness that was so important in Country music is now contrived and false.

As a resident of Nashville i can see your point and mostly agree. But I tend to have alot of respect for Brad Paisley. For one, as already mentioned, he's an absolutely sick guitarist. As far as his songs go they are usually cheesy but almost always rather clever. It's easy to say that you could write songs like his but I dare anyone to try. They're simplistic sure but it takes some degree of skill to write the songs he does. And the most important thing is that he does write his own songs. Which is an extreme rarity for a successful artist in Nashville. So I tend to think that he is sincere and earnest because of that. He can be a breath of fresh air compared to the Rascal Flatts and Kenny Chesneys of the country music scene. But for sure nothing beats the old outlaw country.

• Members

Good country can be cool. It has influenced many classic rock acts,

and is not without soul.

Problem is the crap songwriting nashville is currently shoving down throats.

One could make the same argument about modern R&B compared to, say, the level of songwriting in the era of Otis Redding, James Brown, etc

• Members

I'm a country boy. My father brought me up on Hank Williams, Willie Nelson, Waylon Jennings, Johnny Cash, George Jones, etc. I enjoy Brad Paisley's guitar playing when he plays, and his attitude about the guitar rules. Some of his songs are great, but Online is crap, and some of his other songs do nothing for me. He's a monster player no doubt, so I'm psyched about a Paisley instrumental album, but his regular recordings are generic Nashville CountryPop. The sincerity and earnestness that was so important in Country music is now contrived and false.

A Paisley instrumental album would be something that I could seriously listen to and appreciate. Don't get me wrong, he's a great guitarist. Heck, I'd go so far as to call him a master of southwestern guitar playing and composing. But his non-instrumental moments are just cheesy, forgettable country-pop. Except for online. That one's so cheesy it's unforgettable:rolleyes:.

Archived