SONIC MAXIMIZER - Opinions...

bmast160

• Members

Picture009.jpg

Though it is a mystery of what it does exactly... it "sounds" like it cleans up your signal just before you go into your amp. From what I've read, it uses a technology that has been in high end Stereo Equimpent for years. It is meant to be placed last in your pedalboard right before you go into your amp as to give your amplifier the best possible input signal.

It has been likened to "taking the blanket off your speakers", and that it definitely does. Apparently there is a rack mounted version of it that has been used in the recording industry for years. In my rig, the EQ Shapes the Fuzz and the Sonic Stomp Shapes the Tone. And... it adds a 3-D quality to the sound that is impossible to imagine playing without once you have played with it. I'll never get rid of mine.

Of course, if your Amp and Speakers are crap, don't expect the Sonic Stomp fix all of your Tone problems. However, no matter what you're playing out of, the Sonic Stomp will make your rig sound better. Period.

• Members

I don't go out for products which poorly explain what they do or appeal to proprietary mystery processes to accomplish their sound. Especially since the Sonic Maximizer is a DSP. There's a concrete algorithm running on it that does specific things, no voodoo necessary. Their manual mentions some vaguery about waveform time arrival correction, etc., but frankly it sounds to me like an EQ and a compressor.

My dad is just in love with his (rackmounted version - he had one in the late 80's too) for his drums in the band he's playing with, says it makes them sound like he's in a colloseum. I figure, whatever makes him happy... It certainly makes an instantly audible difference, no doubt about it, but I don't think it's the end-all, be-all of tone mastering technology, and I think their marketing relies on building the mystery a bit too much.

• Members

I want to respond to this specifically because I feel it is a really bad post. No offense intended to the poster, but there are a few problems that just make it pretty useless.

1. Mystery box of tone! Can't tell you what it does, but boy is it great!

---I think I addressed this one well enough in my other post, so I won't go into it further here.

2. If this sounds bad, your amp and speakers are crap.

---As it turns out, even with great amps and high quality speakers, plenty of folks rotate this piece of gear out of their lineup after using it for awhile and becoming dissatisfied with its sound.

3. No matter what you're palying out of, the Sonic Stomp will make your rig sound better. Period.

---It would be a very boring world if you could say "Period." after every subjective assessment and have it be true. We'd probably all be listening to muzak, since that's the only thing shown to be statistically innoffensive. You may or may not like this unit, just like any other processor.

Once again, no offense to you, just felt the need to respond to your post's misleading assertions.

• Members

I want to respond to this specifically because I feel it is a really bad post. No offense intended to the poster, but there are a few problems that just make it pretty useless.

1. Mystery box of tone! Can't tell you what it does, but boy is it great!

---I think I addressed this one well enough in my other post, so I won't go into it further here.

2. If this sounds bad, your amp and speakers are crap.

---As it turns out, even with great amps and high quality speakers, plenty of folks rotate this piece of gear out of their lineup after using it for awhile and becoming dissatisfied with its sound.

3. No matter what you're palying out of, the Sonic Stomp will make your rig sound better. Period.

---It would be a very boring world if you could say "Period." after every subjective assessment and have it be true. We'd probably all be listening to muzak, since that's the only thing shown to be statistically innoffensive. You may or may not like this unit, just like any other processor.

Once again, no offense to you, just felt the need to respond to your post's misleading assertions.

Didn't read anything on the company website about "digital" signal processing http://www.bbesound.com/technologies/BBE_HDS/. I think they make it clear what they do, compensate for the laws of physics in speakers which cause distortion. And if this unit is digital, it has the richest and warmest tone of any digital piece of equipment I've ever heard. Truly HD Sound.

I'm no electrical engineer and can't explain how my big muff or 1959 SLP work either, but I do know they sound great together with my 1960BHW cab (which has a lower octave range than most speakers (55 Hz)). And... My Big Muff and 1959SLP sound better with my MXR EQ and BBE Sonic Stomp plugged in.

You know that "Tone" people search for. They search for it all their lives and spend thousands of dollars chasing for that ever elusive "tone." Well... I've found mine and it didn't take years or months, I just did my research. I describe it with words like thick and lush, a distorstion so saturated it's like peanut butter. And most importantly "warm" which is usually found in analog equipment, which is why I was surprised to hear "agreed" say it's digital.

Now... some people say sales information is unimportant. However, I was surprised to find out in "Equalization and Tone Shaping", the Sonic Stomp is the #1 best selling unit over both the MXR and Boss EQ on Guitar Center's website. This is why I picked one up in the first place. With the return policy, it's easy to pick up equipment, try it out, and return it if you don't like it. For as many of the effects as I've kept, I've returned the same number of them.

• Members

I think they are crap, and KNOW they are crap.

I owned one. At first I thought it was the duck's nuts. Then I realised it was sucking the body of my tone, made my amp even woofier-sounding (and burped!), and harsh.

An EQ done the job a hell of a lot better, and more efficiently.

The Sonic Maximiser is meant for post-processing in the mixing desk, not in the signal path of a guitar rig.

I am so sick of people falling for the Sonic Maximiser Sonic Stomp. It makes me roll my eyes in disgust.

• Members

Now... some people say sales information is unimportant. However, I was surprised to find out in "Equalization and Tone Shaping", the Sonic Stomp is the #1 best selling unit over both the MXR and Boss EQ on Guitar Center's website. This is why I picked one up in the first place. With the return policy, it's easy to pick up equipment, try it out, and return it if you don't like it. For as many of the effects as I've kept, I've returned the same number of them.

Why on earth do you believe the tripe from Guitar Centre?

• Members

I think they are crap, and KNOW they are crap.

I owned one. At first I thought it was the duck's nuts. Then I realised it was sucking the body of my tone, made my amp even woofier-sounding (and burped!), and harsh.

An EQ done the job a hell of a lot better, and more efficiently.

The Sonic Maximiser is meant for post-processing in the mixing desk, not in the signal path of a guitar rig.

I am so sick of people falling for the Sonic Maximiser Sonic Stomp. It makes me roll my eyes in disgust.

only reason i was thinking about it is because seems like im loosing presence in my chain...i have a lot of effects hooked up...but i assume a buffer and eq would solve that better than the sonic stomp...agree?

recommendations on an eq? i use the boss right now

• Members

It's just as silly to say "I think they are crap, and KNOW they are crap" as it is to say "This will improve your tone. Period."

You're going to need to try one for yourself and see how you like it. As I said, it has a very immediate effect on your sound. I've seen some people use it, think it's great, then end up tossing it because they fall out of love with the unit - but there are others who warm up to it slowly and end up using it forever. In my opinion, it's a tool like any other, and worth a shot if you understand that there's nothing magical in the box, just filters and processing of relatively more or less complexity, and that you may or may not like what it does.

Archived