WHAT ARTIST'S USE A SONIC MAXIMIZER

bmast160

• Members

If you like super scooped metal tones, you will love a Sonic maximizer. All it really does is add a resonance and presence control.

i know what a presence control sounds like...but what is it actually doing to the sound...does it use compression and eq?

• Members

I own a Sonic Stomp, and from what I've read it gives a slight delay to the high and low frequencies so that the sound coming out of the speaker isn't all mushed together. No compression or eq. Most effective in an FX loop. For me, the pedal is useless and was a waste of money.

• Members

Jesus, we need like a sticky on the sonic stomp...

it's snake oil. It is largely hype, misleading advertising, and completely WORTHLESS. anything it does can be reproduced with proper use of things such as EQ and a good tube amp. It might make a solid state amp sound good in the bedroom, but it will sound like ASS live. Stay away, don't waste your money.

• Members

Jesus, we need like a sticky on the sonic stomp...

it's snake oil. It is largely hype, misleading advertising, and completely WORTHLESS. anything it does can be reproduced with proper use of things such as EQ and a good tube amp. It might make a solid state amp sound good in the bedroom, but it will sound like ASS live. Stay away, don't waste your money.

why will it sound good in a bedroom but like ass live?

• Members

None of these posts is really on-topic. Look, you've been posting about this goddamned thing for a few days now. It doesn't matter who does and doesn't use it. Try one for yourself and see if you like it. If you're worried about acquiesing to the mob in some kind of bizarre pedal popularity contest, just buy a Crybaby and a Metalzone because those are two of the best selling pedals of all time and call it a day.

It is a DSP. To my ears, it sounds like compression and EQ. In its manual, it claims to be compensating for the physics of sound, which (in my experience) is probably snake-oil - the same kind of bull{censored} passed around by Monster Cable with their nonsense, anti-scientific explanation of how their cables compensate for bass and treble frequencies travel. The point is not that these things don't occur, but that they are effectively negligable at audio frequencies, only becoming problematic at much, much higher frequencies (in the case of skin effect, for example, mhz+).

Try it and see if you like it or don't, it's really that simple. What's the old line? "Opinions are like assholes - everyone has them and they all stink." You've gotten all you can get from this forum on the topic of the Sonic Maximizer with your LAST thread, now it's time for you to make up your own mind.

• Members

........If you're worried about acquiesing to the mob in some kind of bizarre pedal popularity contest, just buy a Crybaby and a Metalzone because those are two of the best selling pedals of all time and call it a day......

man, you're completely missing the points of this forum: teenage fashion show behavior, and shopping like an amphetamine-inhaling housewife.

the bbe sonic maximizer fails on several levels, the most noteworthy being reasonable price and availability. no oohs and aahs can ever come from a situation like that, regardless of what the thing does.

• Members

None of these posts is really on-topic. Look, you've been posting about this goddamned thing for a few days now. It doesn't matter who does and doesn't use it. Try one for yourself and see if you like it. If you're worried about acquiesing to the mob in some kind of bizarre pedal popularity contest, just buy a Crybaby and a Metalzone because those are two of the best selling pedals of all time and call it a day.

It is a DSP. To my ears, it sounds like compression and EQ. In its manual, it claims to be compensating for the physics of sound, which (in my experience) is probably snake-oil - the same kind of bull{censored} passed around by Monster Cable with their nonsense, anti-scientific explanation of how their cables compensate for bass and treble frequencies travel. The point is not that these things don't occur, but that they are effectively negligable at audio frequencies, only becoming problematic at much, much higher frequencies (in the case of skin effect, for example, mhz+).

Try it and see if you like it or don't, it's really that simple. What's the old line? "Opinions are like assholes - everyone has them and they all stink." You've gotten all you can get from this forum on the topic of the Sonic Maximizer with your LAST thread, now it's time for you to make up your own mind.

i've been asking about it cause i havent got anything from the posts...some people say they love it some say its ok and some say its {censored}. so thats why i posted again. i was asking what artistis use one to see what kind of sound they get...if you don't want to read the post then dont and let someone else post on it...the whole point of this website is to get peoples opinions...and i have tried it and i wanted to see other peoples opinions and to learn more about how it works.

• Members

I own the rack mount version so I will try to shed some light on it.

On the rack mount unit:
The controls are basically bass and treble, but other then changing your tone they don't have anything to do with what the maximizer does to your sound. I set them so there is no tonal change between the unit being on or bypassed. It's easy to switch back and forth between on and bypassed to hear the difference with a button on the front of the unit. According to the manual, is puts a slight delay on signals below a certain frequency because speakers supposedly respond to those lower frequencies faster then higher ones. So it is supposed to sort your sound out and make it come out of your speaker more clear.

Does it work? Yes, it does seem to clean up the sound.

Do I use my maximizer? No, because I found I like the before dirtier sound made by my tube amps instead of the cleaned up after sound so I removed it to have 1 less thing in my signal chain.

I let a friend borrow the maximizer that plays in an origional metal band and he loved it because he cranked the bass knob on the maximizer up and said he got even better chug distortion out of his rectifier.

So I would say after using one, if you are using it for clean/acoustic stuff or heavy metal you will like it. If you play the in between classic rock type stuff like I do you don't need one.

We do have one in our PA rack and it cleaned our over all sound up real nice coming out our mains.

Archived