New guitar/pedal day - US trip.

Daryl Chaney

• Members

Just back from the US of A, was in chicago and new york, fantastic places.

[edit] Wow this is a long post, guitar buying madness insues [edit]

Went to a load of music shops in both cities, Chicago Music Exchange + Ludlow Guitars being right up there.

Tried out a bunch of new telecasters, jazzmasters and mustangs along with a few vintage mustangs and various vintage stuff.

I had it in my head that i was getting a jazz or jaguar, but after playing the $1400 MIA RI and a $950 telecaster the telecaster blew it out of the water. The jazz / jag RI pickups were thin and weak compared to the tele, and the setups and playability of the RI was horrible, i know it can be fixed but seriously for $1400 you'd want to be able to play it when you buy it.

And the cheapest Jazz/Jag vintage i could find was a $2000 jag refinish, :eek:

then i tried some vintage & RI Jap Mustangs, :love: wow, these guitars are fantastic, really distinctive sound and play.

I actually found a '76 beat up mustang in a GC in chicago (halsted) but i was worried about taking it on the flight to NY and it needed a fret job and im sure it was a refin too, not sure if it was worth the $1150 price tag (without tax)

If any of you guys are around there, check it out its got some uber mojo.

found some cheaper mustangs in 30th st guitars, a jap and a vintage refin both for $750, the jap was ok the pups were a bit weak and the vintage refin was amazing, but the neck was completely warped, and the guy told me it was at that price becuase it was a refin, :mad: shame on you.

Other mustangs were in the > $2500 area :cry:

So i got this after all my travels, :love::thu:

img0284wc4.jpg

Oh, i also picked up

ZVEX Fuzz Factory

ZVEX Lo-Fi Loop Junky

Boss OD-3

I am officially finished buying pedals, unless Josh brings out that Holley Erectus some time, i heard he wasnt going to produce it ? :cry: Tell me im wrong.

Oh, and thanks to you guys who informed me on some cool music shops in chicago, it was a great help!

• Members

Nice trip! Love that Tele, much nicer than any Jag/Jazz but they aren't my cup of tea anyway. Nice pedal purchase too. I'vehad GAS for Tele's lately too, although I think I may just change the pups on my Highway 1 Tele, which I otherwise love.

• Members

welcome home! any hassle in dublin with customs?

normally when i go through theres some lad reading the newspaper and you could walk past him with a baby elephant!

lol, there were acutally 3 of them this time having a chat and i strolled by on a horse while playing my brand spanking new guitar, through my cigarrette amp.

056.ht12.jpg

although everywhere in the us i and everything i was holding or wearing was searched.

:cop::cop:

• Members
sweet,how's the tele? is it one of the new standard series?

yea its the new standard MIA, sounds + plays much better than the Series MIA, and i think its up there with the American Deluxe (binding one, with those deadly samarium pups)

Sounds and plays amazing, the neck is like butter, much easier to play than other tele's i've played. And i went with the rosewood fb as it sounds warmer than the maple neck, takes some of the excessive edge of that the tele is known for. works for me.

shes a beaut! :love:

Archived