Keeley Ibanez AD9 Analog Delay

panosy

• Members

Hello people,

I recently got the Keeley modified AD9 delay and i have a question for the ones that have it. When engaged the effect is great, the result is a good echo but the overall sound seems to be dark and kind of compressed to my ears.

Does anybody have any opinion on that? Could it be a thing of analog delays, because it is the first one I have had so I can

• Members

I bought a Keeley modded AD9 from someone here in the forum. I found pretty much the same thing. It just didn't sound like it had any life to it. My old Ibanez DE7 sounded better. Now the only delay is use is the delay effect on an old Yamaha FX500. I've come to the conclusion that I just prefer the sound of a good digital delay.

• Members

Of all the effects out there, I think delay is the one that's the hardest to nail down in terms of the sound you like. I've only used two Keeley products, the modded AD9 and his 4-knob compressor. I sold the comp to buy a Diamond comp as I felt the compressor was a bit lifeless, knocked a bit of the higher end out, something I could dial back in the Diamond comp. The AD9 wasn't bad at all, I just prefer the digital delay of the FX500.

You just have to find what you like. I personally prefer the sound of my Arion chorus to the Analogman chorus I borrowed for a couple of weeks in the past. There's a bit of a price difference between the two but the Arion works for me. Just 'cos something's made by a big name pedal maker doesn't mean you'll find it works for you.

• Members

HeartfeltDawn: I totally agree on what you said, and I also prefer the Arion Chorus over even the CE-2 that I will probably sell soon.. I just had no experience from analog delays so I was wondering if maybe mine was defective or something. I am sure some people will love this delay, just not what I was looking for after all.

On the other hand about the keeley 4-knob i will have to disagree. Even though I am not a fan of compression in general, just using it for a bit of spark in funky chords and soloing sounds great (attack and trim all the way up to maintain dynamics and sustain at max 10 o

• Members

:/ yeah i got the same thing going on when my AD9 is engaged.

at first listen, the added compression made leads smoother, but while playing solo, its noticeable when the effect is engaged or not. Not to an extreme, you'd have to really lean in, but it definitely happens.

in a band situation, cant notice it at all...

just imagine how a non-TB AD9 acts.

• Members
On the other hand about the keeley 4-knob i will have to disagree. Even though I am not a fan of compression in general, just using it for a bit of spark in funky chords and soloing sounds great (attack and trim all the way up to maintain dynamics and sustain at max 10 o

Archived