OT-Anyone from Texas (Austin) know anywhere cheap to stay for a week during SXSW?

Kid_A

• Members

Man, sorry to say but you probably won't have very much luck. All the hotels from Taylor to San Marcos have been booked for months and months (happens every year). If you can find a room the rates will be jacked waaaaaay up. Your best bet is to find a hotel somewhere outside the city and rent a car.

• Members

Man, sorry to say but you probably won't have very much luck. All the hotels from Taylor to San Marcos have been booked for months and months (happens every year). If you can find a room the rates will be jacked waaaaaay up. Your best bet is to find a hotel somewhere outside the city and rent a car.

+1

Unfortunately, true. There are allegedly another half-million people that come into town for that week. Anything remotely close to downtown has been booked for months. Some places book a year in advance for that week.

There might be a few pretty scary places on North I-35 between Rundberg and St. Johns, but I'm betting even those are $$$/full. In fact, I just did a hotwire.com search for Thurs - Sun, and got 4 hotels. From $39 - $222 per night. The $39 was in the 'scary' part of town...

You might also try 'Round Rock, TX or 'Georgetown, TX' but you'll need a car. Hell, you'll need a car anyway, 'cause you ain't stayin downtown.

• Members

I recomend you try and stay in Marble Falls. It's maybe 40 minutes out of Austin, and you can probably still find a hotel...if not there are lots of hobos there so you could always just stay under a bridge with them.

• Members
Cheers for the replies guys! I managed to worm my way onto a mates sofa!

Now, the problem is, do I pull the trigger and go or do I stay here and count my money saved for not going?

:confused:

Honestly you wouldn't be missing that much. Lotsa crowds, no parking, and it would also suck to come all the way from London only to not be able get into shows you want to see because you aren't registered for the conference or don't have a music wristband (which I'm assuming you do not). I only live a 2.5 hour drive from Austin and I hesitate about going for that reason.

• Members
Honestly you wouldn't be missing that much. Lotsa crowds, no parking, and it would also suck to come all the way from London only to not be able get into shows you want to see because you aren't registered for the conference or don't have a music wristband (which I'm assuming you do not). I only live a 2.5 hour drive from Austin and I hesitate about going for that reason.

+1 i personally dont think it would be worth it at all. especially if the money could be used for a real trip :p

• Members

I recomend you try and stay in Marble Falls. It's maybe 40 minutes out of Austin, and you can probably still find a hotel...if not there are lots of hobos there so you could always just stay under a bridge with them.

The bridge by the capitol is nice, you can watch the bats at night:thu:

Archived