differences between electribe tube series [blue vs. red]????

• Members

I think there are only 2 tube electribes a blue one and a redish one. I played teh redish one at guitar center and it was very nice... I think I rather just get a new tube electribe then a green ea-1 mkII which I was planning to do because it has a smaplera nd drum machine in it as well...

but, what are the differences between the 2 electribes? I plan on mainly using it live for odd effect fills and live playing lines with some knob tweaking... which would be better suited?

also, can you only get 1 "note" at a time on those "keyboard" settings? I tried to do a 3 note chord and it didn't seem to do it...

• Members

The ones with the tubes?

EMX (blue): synthesizer

ESX (red): sampler

The older Electribes:

EA: (blue) 2 x monophonic analog modeling synth

ER: (red) drumcomputer using synthesized drum sounds

ES: (green) sampler

EM: groovebox with various sample-based sounds.

The Mark II versions have different colors: green for the EA, brown for the ER, silver for the ES - but all these are tubeless.

Here, try this:

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=electribe

• Members

cool, i;ll check teh youtube tomorrow

so only 2 electribes have tubes... but I played the red one and it had the mini "keyboard" and lots of synth sounds, even an organ under an R&B patch... so does the blue one just have more control over the synth? they both seem to have a drum machine, synth and sampler in them... but I may be mistaken...

also, any info on if you can "play" 2 notes or a chord with these tube electribes?

The ones with the tubes?

EMX (blue): synthesizer

ESX (red): sampler

The older Electribes:

EA: (blue) 2 x monophonic analog modeling synth

ER: (red) drumcomputer using synthesized drum sounds

ES: (green) sampler

EM: groovebox with various sample-based sounds.

The Mark II versions have different colors: green for the EA, brown for the ER, silver for the ES - but all these are tubeless.

Here, try this:

• Members

the red one is all samples in flash ram. the blue one is all synth plus samples in rom.

you can put your own samples into the red one, but you cannot do that with the blue one.

the blue one has a simplified synthesizer in it that lets you create new sounds. the red one ONLY plays samples (but those samples can be of synths).

• Members

the blue one has a simplified synthesizer in it that lets you create new sounds. the red one ONLY plays samples (but those samples can be of synths).

So the blue one has sounds and can create and modify those synth sounds -it has a drum machine - and NO sampling

The red one has samples, that can be played with the "keyboard" as a simple synth, but no real synth control?

- and it has a drum machine

is that the rundown?

I guess I am semantically confused, because aren't all synths just "samples" of notes with controls over those sammples to keep they in a tonal key?

• Members

sorry, but could you expand on this... ram v. rom?

wikipedia baby!

then what is the input for on the blue one?

notes via midi or built-in sequencer and parameters to its modelling engines. It evolved out of a TR and TB clones.

I guess I am semantically confused, because aren't all synths just "samples" of notes with controls over those sammples to keep they in a tonal key?

An interesting point. If you have a near continously variable function generating some oscillator signal (saw wave, say) and then modelling filters and whatnot on top of it, most people consider this 'modelling', whereas a recorded snippet of wave played faster or slower and then maybe filtered is 'sampled'. Of course, an actual sampler implies you can record your own (which is what the sampling electribe does)

In contrast to all of these, we have analogue synths which have real electronic components making crazy whizzo noises baby.

B>

• Members

sorry, but could you expand on this... ram v. rom?

RAM : like a floppy - you can both read but also put on new stuff.

ROM : like a pre-written CD; can't overwrite, but you can read.

Haha, no :D. Before samples, it was circuits. After that came FM synthesis, then sampling finally came up for the general public. Then DSP came up; simulating the 20-year old circuitry.

• Members

notes via midi or built-in sequencer and parameters to its modelling engines. It evolved out of a TR and TB clones.

that was just gibberish to me :o:freak::eek:

-->

I guess maybe I should add this: I am looking to get a korg electribe. I am not sure if the new tube line is the best option, though.

what I want:

synth with controls

organ and mellotron [human voice choir] sounds

odd weirdness sounds with knob or slider tweakability

that is why I think the EMX [the blue one with tubes] is too much for me... but that might be the only one that does mellontron type stuff.

I played the red tube one [ESX] and it has a good organ in the R&B and I assume that the blue one has that patch as well from a viedo clip I heard... and I like the ribbon control

can anyone help with this :wave:

• Members
RAM : like a floppy - you can both read but also put on new stuff.

ROM : like a pre-written CD; can't overwrite, but you can read.

QUOTE]

thsi was posted whiel I was replying ... ok so with the EMX, just manipulating what is in there... not ability to add stuff.

with the emx and esx: do they share the same preset sounds? i know on the esx, the R&b section has a nice organ sound... that and a mellotron [human voice choir sound] is what I would need in the presets.

also, can you play 2 notes at the same time with the emx, because I know you can't on the esx

• Members

you mean like in regular computer terms ram v. rom? i guess i can't see how that would apply to these devices here???
:confused:

In a way, what's inside is a computer; just a very limited one with a small display. Using standard components for memory is just a way of cutting cost.

An Akai MPC uses laptop memory and a laptop-sized harddisk. Cheap for the manufacturer (no research costs), cheap for the customer (lots of choice).

what I want:

synth with controls

Check.

organ and mellotron [human voice choir] sounds

Depends if they're actually in there; the 'tribes are aimed at electronic dance music, and organs are usually limited to the M1 organ ( like http://www.synthmania.com/Synthesizers/Korg/M1/Sounds/Factory%20preset%20examples/Programs/17%20Organ2.mp3 )

Check.

can anyone help with this
:wave:

If one box doesn't do everything, you need to get a second box that compensates for that deficiency; that's the only solution. Get a JV-1010 with the Keys of the 60's and 70's expansion or an E-mu Vintage keys.

with the emx and esx: do they share the same preset sounds?

No.

i know on the esx, the R&b section has a nice organ sound...

I think you mean the EMX.

also, can you play 2 notes at the same time with the emx, because I know you can't on the esx

Yes, you can play 2 notes at the same time with the ESX; they are usually just 2 different samples.

Think of the ESX as being more like a drum kit; you don't play "chords", but you can hit the snare, tom and bass drum at the same time.

• Members

The red one has reverse button & 1 synth part, The blue one has no reverse button, but has 5 synth parts. cheers

could you describe synth parts? I assume that it is like a pre recorded synth line that is saved and able to be triggered?

• Members

Yes, you can play 2 notes at the same time with the ESX; they are usually just 2 different samples.

Think of the ESX as being more like a drum kit; you don't play "chords", but you can hit the snare, tom and bass drum at the same time.

I remember hitting 2 keys on the ESX and only one would come through... did you mean to type EMX here?

I think the EMX might be the best for me... but is it that much better than me just getting a EA-1 MK2 ???

• Members

sounds

Are you sure you want an electribe? The primary reason to get a groovebox is because you want to build up step-sequenced grooves on a device that can do drums, synth or both using a pretty specific interface.

I sounds almost as though you're chasing more general synth/sequencing/playing needs, so perhaps an electribe isn't what you're after.

B>

• Members

Are you sure you want an electribe? The primary reason to get a groovebox is because you want to build up step-sequenced grooves on a device that can do drums, synth or both using a pretty specific interface.

I sounds almost as though you're chasing more general synth/sequencing/playing needs, so perhaps an electribe isn't what you're after.

B>

i went to the GC again and tried both out... and was underwhelmed

the esx was more cumbersome and the "ribbon" on the side was not doing the wild glitchy-ness that i loved the other day

it seems both units would be hard to recreate live what i could do at home

i liked them better then a keyed synth because it had more knob tweakability... but with the "ribbon" on the lower left not glitching like i remembered

or [i don't know how i did it] i was doing this nice 'ondus meriotti' [sp?] shift from note to note that i couldn't coax today...

always sad when you realize you won't wheel and deal for a new toy anymore :( :( :(

• Members

Ever since both tube Electribes hit the stores in 2004,the price stayed the same ( $500 USD ) over the years...Do you think they will ever sell under $500,if Korg developes an updated ver. called the EMX-1 MK2/or ESX-1 MK2 that uses SD RAM cards with more RAM storage space with 2 arps & extra slidders/knobs ?

• Members

i went to the GC again and tried both out... and was underwhelmed

the esx was more cumbersome and the "ribbon" on the side was not doing the wild glitchy-ness that i loved the other day

it seems both units would be hard to recreate live what i could do at home

i liked them better then a keyed synth because it had more knob tweakability... but with the "ribbon" on the lower left not glitching like i remembered

Lots of synths with keys (or even rack units) have lots of knobs, what do you mean?

B>

• Members

Lots of synths with keys (or even rack units) have lots of knobs, what do you mean?

B>

yeah, but usually it is mosrtly digital button pushing... i had not found anything else as cheap as there electribes with such knob tweaking weirdness

• Members

yeah, but usually it is mosrtly digital button pushing... i had not found anything else as cheap as there electribes with such knob tweaking weirdness

Lots of stuff out there...but check out

Roland SH-201

Novation K-Station

Virus A (used)

Nord Lead 1 (as recommend above)

Alesis Ion

All of these are subtractive synthesis synths of the analog-modeling variety. The Roland SH-201 is pretty new, and has a great sound. Lots of knobs and sliders...

On a real budget but want something cool?

Look for an Roland SH-32 - its an overlooked gem of a synth for its price. you'll need to connect it to an external keyboard though.

Archived