KOT: Recommend me some good ear plugs

kyrreca

• Members

When I was younger, I didn't really care about my ears, but I do now. I recently joined a band, and since I'll be doing some gigging, I've decided I'll start using ear plugs. I've played one gig with this band and tried using some cheap, generic plugs, but they didn't cut it. The sound got way too muffled, and I had to take them out during the first song.

I know there are ear plugs that are supposed to do a better job of preserving the sound quality, so if someone could point me in the right direction, that would be swell.

Yes, I know using ear plugs is not "rock & roll", but I'm willing to sacrifice my rock & roll integrity to protect my hearing.

• Members

I used the generic Hearos for a long time--they cut out almost everything and definitely too much music. Recently I bought a pair of the Hearos "rock" earplugs and they're fantastic. They take out enough so that you aren't deafened, but you hear much more tone and a "healthy" amount of loudness. They're black and sell for about $6 a pair.

• Members

those are good plugs. they are actually made by etymotic research. i had a set of molded plugs that broke and i'll say that the ER20s come very close for a lot less money. one day i'll get another pair of molded plugs because they really are that good but these do just fine for now.

• Members

http://www.earmolds.com/sound.html

I have the ER15s...I used them when I was a bassist and now as a drummer...for drums I'd rather use the er25s though. I might ask the audiologist for some 25 attenuators.

The ear molds are custom to your ears which makes them so comfortable.

I can't play without earplugs, or else I can't enjoy the music.

Archived