to muff or not to muff

simonnca

• Members

HI!

Looking at a muff pedal, preferably one with an AC adaptor input (australia). The big muff pi (standard one) seems pretty ok, except a little friggin big right? So i was thinking, whats the difference between the big muff pi and the little big muff? (apart from price?) i quite like the tone it gives off so im sticking with electro harmoinx

thanks

• Members

im in oz too.

firstly,dont buy in oz buy from the us,its cheaper by over half, including shipping.

the LBM is the same as the NYC big muff except for afew different value components. its not major but it does sound pretty different. its more bassy and its muddy with chords.

its a cool pedal but because its muddy i modded mine to an NYC muff as i hate mud.

personally you cant beat the NYC,who cares about the size its a cool fuzz.

batteries last ages in bigmuffs so i wouldnt worry about an adapter to much.

they can run on any negative center 9VDC adpter anyways.

• Members

I have the russian big Muff..... it took some time to get it set right but man... I love it....

I like mine too. I bought mine modded, Mohomods on ebay. Took care of some of the shortcomings of the Russian models. Love the bass on this thing. Still not a small pedal though. I might try a LBM just to compare, and they're so cheap too.

• Members

im in oz too.

firstly,dont buy in oz buy from the us,its cheaper by over half, including shipping.

the LBM is the same as the NYC big muff except for afew different value components. its not major but it does sound pretty different. its more bassy and its muddy with chords.

its a cool pedal but because its muddy i modded mine to an NYC muff as i hate mud.

You said you had your Little Big Muff modded to sound like an NYC? How did you go about doing that?

• Members

You said you had your Little Big Muff modded to sound like an NYC? How did you go about doing that?

unless your familiar with mods and tiny tiny SMD components i wont bother going into detail but i just swapped about 9 components out for different values by referring to both schematics.

• Members

i got a older russian in teh post yesterday and it was soooo bassy and boomy i had to reduce the input/output caps by a factor of ten to make it usable.

i always wondered why people like such a pedal so much,and still do.

i only got it for my muff collection, i still hate russian muffs.

• Members

Check the diode caps if the tall box black one, may be .047's (473) [which makes for wierd bass] ... With buffered drive, my old raised edge low box one sounds more like a tube preamp than you would expect.

I think they all can be made to sound about the same as another version, but it can require changing almost everything on the board, so except for size it makes more sense to just start with one you want, or close.

Archived