Musician's Friend poor service

• Members

Alright, long time lurker, first time poster (how lame was that?), I got one for you.

I ordered a Synth from MF two Friday's ago. Just so happened that it came with a free stand, bonus, I know. On the item page the Synth said it was "In stock and ready to ship", awesome! I go ahead and place my order. About three hours later (about 9pm EST) I log on and check to see if everything went through.

Turns out everything did go through, only now all of a sudden the synth is backordered and the stand has yet to be processed (They're listed as two seperate items). So I go on to check the item page again to make sure I didn't misread (I had, of course, checked out a few Synths that day and just wanted to make sure I was still looking at the right one). I hadn't misread, it still said "In stock and ready to ship". So I log on to the online chat and ask what the deal is. A very nice guy named Matt came on and explained to me that the backorder is a default thing because they're changing warehouse locations and it takes a little longer to find things these days. I accept the explanation and ask Matt that if he wouldn't mind flagging my order and maybe someone along the line might expedite my shipping for free. It wasn't an expectation, it was a request, one Matt said he was glad to do, but couldn't say whether it would happen or not.

Fast forward to the next evening. I sign onto my account to see if any progress has been made. Sure enough it has, the synth is being packed! Sweet!

Three days later I log on again and the synth is still being packed and the stand still has yet to be processed. Grr. So I call and ask what the deal is again. They explain to me that the order has been shipped, that the page was taking a while to update. Score! Alright now we're getting somewhere. I get a tracking number and being that I'm OCD I track the thing 12 times a day.

I watch it head from Kansas City, to Illinois to Indiana and finally to Syracuse, a mere 4 hours away from me. This morning I log on and see it has finally arrived in my town and is out for delivery. Awesome! I go to work thinking I'm going to see this thing when I get home.

I finally get home from work today and see a package standing near my door. But something is wrong with the package. Its a little too skinny and small to be a synth. Sure enough, upon further inspection it would appear it was the stand. The stand that, on the website, was still listed as "Not yet processed."

So I log back on to my account and see that the listing next to the Synth says "Shipped" and the listing on the Stand says "Not yet processed". So I give MF a call again and get a woman named Ashley (I was really hoping it would be a man so I wouldn't mind ripping into them, you see, I'm not one for yelling at women, ever.) With disappointment in my voice I ask Ashley what the deal is. She tells me the Synth shipped today, and I must have gotten the tracking number for the stand (That required no explanation as I'm staring at the stand). She kindly gave me my new tracking number and now I get to wait all over again. And it didn't sound like my new buddy Matt was able to help me out on the shipping.

Whether the Synth was deliberately tracked on the MF site to make it appear it had been shipped was all an act to pacify me or not remains to be seen. It just kinda looked shady. I'm not mad, just disappointed and thought I'd vent a little bit here.

Thanks for listening, and great site, love the community.

• Members

Well there's a gross over-generalization. :) I mostly think MF's current problems stem from their "warehouse move". It's ironic that they sent out a flyer some weeks ago about their moving sale, when it appears to be pot-luck whether you can actually GET what you ordered.

• Members

I only buy small things from the places like GC/MF etc. For serious purchases, I go with Novamusik or Sweetwater. The staff are much more together, and they're just as competitive price-wise IMO.

Heh heh. Pricewise? Not this time. Musician's Friend gave me a mother of a deal and I don't think they meant to. :eek:

I've heard great things about Novamusic. I've ordered a ton, from Sweetwater. My previous Virus came from 8th Street Music. All good.

In the past, I have ordered/bought an XP50, Triton and Triton Extreme from Musician's Friend. Got 2 free stands and great service. Internet stores have saved me a {censored}load of money!!!!

This time, I'm waiting. I'm not at all mad, because I'm actually too busy to play with the TI, right now. I think they made an error on the price ($700 plus under their's and everybody else's current listing), so I'm going to patiently wait. Some deals (intentional or not) are worth waiting for.

You see - after 60 days, they can let go of the order (and on this one, I think it would benefit them to have a few cancels), unless you reaffirm it in writing..... I did. 6 or 7 more days and I think there will be some movement, after that. I'll get it. Actually, it will be very good service. :cool:

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Go ahead. Ask me. You know you want to...

("Hey, did you ever get your stand...?") So glad you asked!

uh... No. Still don't have it.

"Being packed" says their website. Been in that state since July 2. Ridiculous. I guess I'll make one LAST call on this before canceling it permanently.

I'm in no real hurry for it, as you can probably guess, or I would have ordered it elsewhere by now. This has mainly turned into a customer service test experiment on my part for my own (questionable) amusement. But I'm tired of this game now. I'm curious to see how the phone rep spins this...

• Members

Just because I know you're all dying to hear how this is going...

Got home yesterday, and there it was. I had NOT called them like I said I was going to (I've been busy), so it was something of a surprise to finally see it. I suspect someone at MF saw my last post and FINALLY figured out that they could ship it.

It looked like UPS had beat it up pretty good; The box appeared to be bent in the middle, and had torn open at that point. Fortunately, the gig bag it came in seemed to protect it well enough, and the stand doesn't appear to actually BE bent. I guess this is what happens when you pack something in an oversize box without filler. This is not the first box from MF I've received in this condition, either. My QuikLok mixer stand's box arrived in the same condition.

At any rate, even though I finally have what I want, I will still think twice about ordering from MF for a while, incentive or not.

The End.

• Members

When I shop by phone and ask the salesperson to check if in stock, I've had better results. But even that can get strange. I've been receiving my last order piece by piece all week... the speaker stands (on sale for $50 a pair) they said were backordered came first. I ordered three keyboard heavy duty gig bags, also on a closeout sale. All were supposed to be in stock, but so far have received only two of them. The third may come today I hope.

These are very nice bags for the money btw. $39 for any size. Semi-rigid, made by Kaces.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Musicians-Gear-88-Key-Large-Pro-Keyboard-Bag?sku=542093

• Members

Im not bragging in any way here, but merely laying this out to qualify myself and to share my experiences. When buying gear its esssential to develop a relationship with the seller-face-to face. If you live in a remote area- then make calls and speak personally to them. I have bought about $750,000 worth of gear in my long career and this works best. I have had excellent results with Guitar center pro, Sweetwater, and Mannys doing this. They know everything about me and what I want, they know trends, make good recomendations, and give me competitive prices, and mostly they dont sell me things I dont need, or are overly hyped, or overly priced, or OUT OF STOCK.Retail is definitely about relationships.

• Members

I've used several online vendors (American Musical Supply, MF, Woodwind & Brass (gone, now), Zzounds)... good luck with them all. My experience with Zzounds makes me recommend them. I bought a Firepod from them (when they first came out and cost a lot more!) and received it with a broken end piece. Obviously the shipper was at fault. I called Zzounds, they apologized and sent me another one overnight at no charge, even before I returned the broken one. Service like that should be praised!

Archived