How not to hear my picking on recording ?

denimboy

• Members

probably not the answer youre looking for but its more than likely bad technique. its just more noticeable when youre listening and not actually playing.

pay more attention to the angle of your pick as it strikes the string. when the tip of the pick is at an angle as it strikes the string you get a larger picking sound due to the increased pick area that is striking the string. if you get the angle right only the tip will hit the string and sound a lot cleaner and tighter.:idk:

:)

• Members

Are you talking about your attack sound through the amp, or are you mic'ing a cab and it's picking up the actual sound of your pick on the strings?

Most important question in the thread.

If it's the first, then it is either something you'll have to deal with or learn to minimize. Gain does the same thing to pick squawking as it does to pinch harmonics - the way that it amplifies and compresses makes the normally quiet phenomenon as loud as the rest of your playing. I use big thick picks and I play legato and economy picking. Pick squawk is something I have to consciously try to minimize or else it's chirp-chirp-chirp-chirp every time I start or emphasize a run. Lower gain reduces it to inaudibility.

If it's the second problem, isolate your amp and mic better and turn it up.

• Members

It is my picking getting recorded through the cab. I'll try different technique to see if I can improve this. thank you

Best of luck. Pick material can make a big difference, though thickness probably makes the most difference - big picks just have the mass to stop it dead and make it ring out from that point like you had a fret there.

• Members

Another tip, of sorts - pick chirp is somewhat minimized on the neck pickup, especially compared to the bridge. It can actually sound cool and give a sort of "space" to quick runs that emphasizes the melody even when you're really shredding. This works especially well with a wah pedal.

Archived