That Burny Les Paul I Bought - The guy broke a...

Kid_A

• Members

The crappy thing is... they were the vintage VH1 pickups... Everwhere i read about Burny guitars, everyone RAVES on about these... i feel like ive lost an original guitar now... and i did bid a little over the odds really...

Can a pole piece be fixed? Or replaced?

• Members

here is his latest email:

"Hi Darren,

I suppose it could be repaired but it wouldn't be economical,the piece of pole left in there would have to be drilled and tapped out,if the winding broke in the process it would need a rewind,it would end up costing a lot.

I have a black Burny here or a really nice vintage white Greco I could send instead,failing that I can give you a refund.

Really sorry about this and I'll certainly try and sought it as best I can.

Let me know what you want to do.

Cheers Craig.

PS,I have a pair of brand new Gibson USA pups I can suply with it also if that is any help."

He seems like a really top geezer. Just a shame he broke a pole piece... :mad:

Wotcha reckon, take the gibson pickups and a case?

• Members

Try talking to Chris at www.rockmonkeyguitars.com about fixing the pole piece. He's an excellent guy, and makes excellent pickups. I remember him posting something about switching pole pieces at another forum. At least he can give you a quote which will be a bit more trustworthy than that doofus who broke it in the first place. How did he manage to do it anyway?

• Members

Try talking to Chris at
www.rockmonkeyguitars.com
about fixing the pole piece. He's an excellent guy, and makes excellent pickups. I remember him posting something about switching pole pieces at another forum. At least he can give you a quote which will be a bit more trustworthy than that doofus who broke it in the first place. How did he manage to do it anyway?

Ill take a look there for the time being... maybe i could acept his deal for now and deal with the pickup at a later date?

He was cleaning the guitar thorughly and then ping... snapped... :cry:

• Members

I don't think you loose too much on the pickups. I changed mine anyway but I suppose it all depends. If it's the same and it's just that and gives you a pickup and a gibson case, I would take it and then get bare knuckle to make you some pickups.

• Members

I don't think you loose too much on the pickups. I changed mine anyway but I suppose it all depends. If it's the same and it's just that and gives you a pickup and a gibson case, I would take it and then get bare knuckle to make you some pickups.

Hmmmm... Well he has offered me some more pricey guitars or the Gibson Pickups...

But i wanna get the case and Pickups... I had my heart set on this les paul too... :cry:

• Members

Ask him for the Greco and the case.

The worst he can do is say no... but under these circumstances, that's what I'd do. I mean... you spent a good deal of money on a guitar that he ended up breaking. Just ask nicely if you can have the other guitar .... and the case for your troubles. Don't sound greedy... just tell him that's what you want and that's what would make you happiest -- ideally speaking.

Like I said, worst he can say is no.

And tell him you want new knobs on that Greco. :lol:

• Members

Personally I think you've got a good deal. Flog the Gibson pickups, keep the case and then email Tim at Bare Knuckle and see if you can repair it for you. You could also join the Tokai forum at http://www.tokaiforum.com/ and post up a wants ad looking for some VH-1 pickups.

You might end up finding out that you don't like the sound of the VH-1s and want to swap them out anyway. Japanese pickups can be a bit hit and miss. The Greco Screaming pickups are decentish, never tried the Dry-Z pickups which go for huge cash now... best I've used are Ibanez Super 70s from the 70s.

All in, despite the breakage, I think you've got a decent deal.

• Members

What model year were both? They are both great copies so I doubt you'll regret it! Congrats on the guitar.

The Burny is 1982, dunno about the Greco, but i cant stand the headstock on it.... :o(

HeartFeltDawn.... cheers for the advice... Dont Bare Knuckle charge ZILLIONS though?

:)

• Members

The Burny is 1982, dunno about the Greco, but i cant stand the headstock on it....
:o
(

HeartFeltDawn.... cheers for the advice... Dont Bare Knuckle charge ZILLIONS though?

:)

that headstock looks ugly indeed.

The Burny looks more traditional.

• Members

i like both but given the choice i wouldn't stuck with the burny too. congrats on a sweet new axe. i'd really like to have a black custom one.

:confused:

So you woulda had the Greco too?

Crxshdxmmy - I dunno man, it just doesnt have whatever the Burny had... rust and fag ash yellow paint maybe...

:p

Archived