Best 61 key keyboard controller?

tangerine

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Thanks swardle.

Yeah I wish I had the money for a remote sl 61 *sigh*

There is only thing that bugs me about the Axiom though (aside from the bad reputation m-audio seems to have in some "circles"), the knobs.

Im a newbie at this but people say the knobs are endless which makes it hard to know "where you are" and plus they have a little "step" so that you cannot use them for lets say fast/smooth action (or however you describe that).

Am I correct?

• Members

Thanks swardle.

Yeah I wish I had the money for a remote sl 61 *sigh*

There is only thing that bugs me about the Axiom though (aside from the bad reputation m-audio seems to have in some "circles"), the knobs.

Im a newbie at this but people say the knobs are endless which makes it hard to know "where you are" and plus they have a little "step" so that you cannot use them for lets say fast/smooth action (or however you describe that).

Am I correct?

I don't see this as a problem. In fact, all you really need to do is see what's happening on the monitor. Since they are endless knobs, you don't have to worry about finding the exact spot where you left off on a previous tweak. Plus the knobs turn in such a way that it is easier to get exact increments. But I will say that I do have a preference for regular pots. I just like that smooth feel. A trade off for sure, but in working with Reason 3 and Cubase 4, I find that I am not missing anything to get the work done. The Axiom allows you a tremendous amount of possibilities. It's hard to go wrong with it.

• Members

Thanks again swardle :thu:

Ok the knobs issue... is not too much of an issue then.

I have to confess my hearth is with the edirol :love:, but it seems the dead keys problem is too wide not to pay attention, although I'm yet to hear about it on the PCR x00 series.

Maybe I'll end up taking the Axiom then :)

• Members

Thanks again swardle
:thu:

Ok the knobs issue... is not too much of an issue then.

I have to confess my hearth is with the edirol
:love:
, but it seems the dead keys problem is too wide not to pay attention, although I'm yet to hear about it on the PCR x00 series.

Maybe I'll end up taking the Axiom then
:)

Good luck with your decision. I hear good things about the new PCR series and they do look great, but I wouldn't know. But I would check with forums of the software you intend to control and see what they have to say.

• Members

stock answer in 3... 2... 1...

Are you planning on using a lot of software where you need the functionality of all those knobs and faders, or do you just need a nice feeling keyboard with a couple wheels that sends the MIDI note information? If the latter is true, then I suggest buying a used synthesizer. Most (almost all) of today's controllers are made very cheaply with crappy quality keyboards.

Archived