I need resources for MIDI cable by the foot and plugs.

willhaven

• Members

My new racked stomp box rig is nearing completion and I need some MIDI cables.

I've made all of my own DC power cables to length and I'm using George L's to patch my audio switchers. I figure I should probably look into bulk MIDI cable and a place where I can pick and choose which ends I want.

I need some adjustable 90 degree angled ends for my TimeFactor and Whammy IV. I also need to figure out how to make a 5-to-7 pin adapter so I can keep the power supply for my Rocktron All Access floorboard in the rack and run the DC power to the pedal via the MIDI cable. Rocktron makes a cable, but it doesn't look to be very long, sturdy, and it doesn't have locking ends (which the All Access accepts and would be nice to have so it doesn't pop out in a live situation).

So, very basically:

-90 degree ends which I can swap their direction. Locking and non locking would be a plus.

-Straight ends of the locking and non-locking variety. Both 5 and 7 pin types.

-MIDI cable.

I did a quick search and only found random DIY MIDI projects and companies where you can custom order cable (which I don't want to do).

I'm also wondering if I can utilize MIDI OUT the same way a MIDI THRU works. I'd like to avoid daisy chaining the MIDI controlled pedals in my rack (they're on different drawers) and my RG-16 audio switchers each have an OUT and a THRU. Of course one of the THRUs or OUTs will be used to patch to the 2nd RG-16 switcher, but that will leave 3 possible MIDI outs for me to run to pedals. Will that work, or will I have to get a MIDI splitting box?

Thanks for any help...

• Members

damn man you want a back rub with that? ;)

for cable http://best-tronics.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=BMI&Category_Code=MIDI_

I've used it; it's good.

for midi plugs

http://best-tronics.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=BMI&Category_Code=MISC_CONN

I've used these; they're good.

midi out is different from midi thru. The out gives you the signal. The thru just passes the signal. They're different. You connect midi out to midi in. You can pass the midi messages from connecting midi thru to midi in.

Archived