Boss DD3 or DD5

J.L.C.

• Members

So I'm looking at getting my first delay pedal....

Having never really used it before I don't have any specific needs, I just want to play around with it to add to my options.

I want to go with boss because I have a TU-2 that I use as a power supply.

Is the DD5 worth the extra cash, or would I be alright with the DD3?

Any of you guys have any experience or opinions on these two pedals?

Thanks

• Members

I've owned both.

IMO -- the DD-3 sounded better, BUT (and it's a big but) the DD-5 has external tap tempo ... which is crucial for me.

I've since ditched both in favor of a DD-20 and an RV-3 ... but make your own choice there. Better sound? (My opinion) or better features?

• Members

the new pedal does not have to be a boss to be able to be powered by the tu-2. pretty much any current pedal has the boss type barrel adaptor.

Yeah ... I can power any pedal in my rig off a Boss Daisy Chain except my DOD wah ... which has a different style power connector.

n161501268_31118697_632.jpg

• Members

That's cool about the power supply!

I'm an effects n00b (if you couldn't tell). All I've got is the TU-2, a CE-2 from '83, and a Crybaby which I'm planning on modding when a new switch gets here.

Thanks for the help fellas

• Members

I love the tap tempo feature on the dd-5

and the dl-4 is an awesome pedal, but someone is about to tell me im wrong. but i love mine.

you are wrong :p

i guess it depends on how much he wants to spend, and the DL-4 is a great pedal. but out of the dd3 and dd5, i'd go with the dd3, just because it's the one i have :p

• Members

I've often wondered why so many people prefer the dd3 over the dd5. It seems they would be pretty much the same with the dd5 just having a few more features. I've had a dd5 for years and I love it. I can't imagine the dd3 being so much better that I would throw mine in the garbage and order the older version. Maybe it's the common, but flawed, trap of "older is better" that so many guitarists fall into.

• Members

with this you can power the dod wah

C35.jpg

I've often considered this. But I don't use wah all the time as I've been more of a rhythm player all my life. I'm learning lead, but it'll take awhile. Plus, at this point, it's not on my board. It just chills out next to my volume pedal.

I'll stick with batteries for now ... but should the day come around where I use wah all the time ... I'll get one.

Thanks!

• Members

i'm a dd3 user. Been one since 1997. I love that pedal. People say it sounds better than other digital delays because:

the dd3, like an analog delay, repeats the repeats. Meaning lets say you have a delay going with 5 repeats (this is going to be confusing to some but bear with me). Ok lets say your original signal is 1. A typical digital delay with 5 repeats will look like this:

OS - OS - OS - OS - OS. It just keeps repeating your Original Signal.

now an analog delay, and the dd3 is a bit different. your original signal is one, but the next note (echo) will be a copy of that, and so on so forth. So it would look like:

OS - R2 - R3 - R4 - R5. (repeats (2-5). Now with a digital delay there is not much difference in sound unless you add a filter of some kind, but instead of repeating the original sound over and over, it's repeating THE LAST SOUND. So the signal, like an analog delay, degrades over time.

though it's highly subtle in the dd3, it still makes some sort of difference. I wish i had some works cited but i don't. I read it on here once and there was a link which was very helpful. But basically the dd3 copy's the last repeat, where the other digital delays keep copying the original note played.

that being said, i'm in the market for a dd5... just for the tap tempo.:thu:

• Members

i'm a dd3 user. Been one since 1997. I love that pedal. People say it sounds better than other digital delays because:

the dd3, like an analog delay, repeats the repeats. Meaning lets say you have a delay going with 5 repeats (this is going to be confusing to some but bear with me). Ok lets say your original signal is 1. A typical digital delay with 5 repeats will look like this:

OS - OS - OS - OS - OS. It just keeps repeating your Original Signal.

now an analog delay, and the dd3 is a bit different. your original signal is one, but the next note (echo) will be a copy of that, and so on so forth. So it would look like:

OS - R2 - R3 - R4 - R5. (repeats (2-5). Now with a digital delay there is not much difference in sound unless you add a filter of some kind, but instead of repeating the original sound over and over, it's repeating THE LAST SOUND. So the signal, like an analog delay, degrades over time.

though it's highly subtle in the dd3, it still makes some sort of difference. I wish i had some works cited but i don't. I read it on here once and there was a link which was very helpful. But basically the dd3 copy's the last repeat, where the other digital delays keep copying the original note played.

that being said, i'm in the market for a dd5... just for the tap tempo.
:thu:

I wasn't aware of that. Wouldn't that lead to a more muddy sound? That might be nice at times but the clarity of a digital delay is what I would want if I were buying a DIGITAL delay. Maybe both feeding into each other is the true path of the enlightened.

• Members

I wasn't aware of that. Wouldn't that lead to a more muddy sound? That might be nice at times but the clarity of a digital delay is what I would want if I were buying a DIGITAL delay. Maybe both feeding into each other is the true path of the enlightened.

no like i said it's very subtle on the dd3. It's too hi-fi of a pedal to get muddy. Even the dmm doesn't get muddy. Now something like a dm2, is a different story. From my ears, the dd3 is crystal clear. I personally love that boss digital delay sound. But i'm just saying with that post above, that's the reason why people think the dd3 sounds better than the other ones. To many/most ears it won't sound very different i don't think.

Archived