I am undergoing an OD shootout!!!

kidder

• Members

It is time to trim down my pedal collection. I had 5 OD pedals before and want 2 on my board. I have taken away the Fulltone OCD and the Zakk Wylde OD. I have three remaining. Boss OD-3, Boss BD-2 and Maxon OD808 remain on the board. Of course I will do my own testing with my DSL 100 but am wondering what your thougts on the above three are.

• Members

from my understanding it is:

Od-3: Adds a bit more bass...other then that it has a flat eq, makes a pretty good clean boost and is good for low to mild drive.

BD-2: not sure on the Eq since i only played on it for alittle. What i can explain is it adds a certain grit to your sound. only seen it used for low drive, responsive to picking technique.

• Members

the BD-2 has more grit and gain, can even be used as a full on distortion. the OD-3 is just a mild OD, sounds killer by itself but also makes a great boost. Both of mine are moded to monte allums specs and they both sound great but if I had to choose I'm going with the OD-3.

• Members

I do like the Maxon on the drive channel on my JCM 2000 DSL 100m it really adds warmth and sustain and a bit of brightness. I also like the OD-3, I can get a good slightly driven tone to a slash type tone, seeing that was the pedal used on the Appetite for Destruction album. The BD-2 I am not sure about yetm have to go through more testing. Apparently after talking to guys at local music stores the BD-2 is one of the most sought after Boss pedals ever made. I have to do more testing. Thanks.

• Members

I do like the Maxon on the drive channel on my JCM 2000 DSL 100m it really adds warmth and sustain and a bit of brightness. I also like the OD-3, I can get a good slightly driven tone to a slash type tone, seeing that was the pedal used on the Appetite for Destruction album. The BD-2 I am not sure about yetm have to go through more testing. Apparently after talking to guys at local music stores the BD-2 is one of the most sought after Boss pedals ever made. I have to do more testing. Thanks.

I'm pretty sure the od-3 didn't come out til quite a few years after appetite for destruction was recorded.

that being said, i love my od-3

• Members

You are right. the Od-3 came out in August 1997 to present. I knew that all of those years sniffing glue would come back to haunt me. Anyways, the pedal still rocks. Has anyone tried the monte allums mods for this pedal?

• Members

You are right. the Od-3 came out in August 1997 to present. I knew that all of those years sniffing glue would come back to haunt me. Anyways, the pedal still rocks. Has anyone tried the monte allums mods for this pedal?

I did the monte allums supra mod on mine. I like it, but I recently bought another OD-3 to keep stock. It's hard to decide which I like better. It seems like the allums mod adds a little more overdrive in the lowest settings. Stock seems cleaner. The stock one is also a little harsher sounding, but in a good way.

Archived