New Idea (pedaltrain invention ITT)

Aaron SS

• Members

So i was looking for a way to have all of my cables come out of my pedaltrain at one central location as well as being able to patch in and out new pedals at certain locations in my pedalboard. My idea was to take a bottom plate of an effects enclosure/drill holes for 4 jacks (input/output/fx send/fx return)/attach and run cables to where those locations are on my board and solder those cables to the jacks. With doing that i can then have all my cables come out at a central location and be able to patch in and out new pedals to see if they get permanent residence on the board. Now for most people this isnt necessary and would probably seeem like more points of potential failure to giggers but for what i needed it was perfect. Heres some pix so hopefully you guys can understand what im saying.

0427081922.jpg

0427081922a.jpg

0427081922b.jpg

0427081929.jpg

Excuse the crappy pictures but there it is. Im deeming it the "Patch Plate" and a good thing about the effects plate is that it mounts to the inside of my pedaltrain. Let me know what you guys think :thu:

• Members

I have a box-based version of this that is a little easier to make quick changes with because it doesn't have cables that would need to be desoldered and changed for new formats. I would suggest buying the flanged hammond boxes and making patch bays into the top and bottom sections. You could then attach it underneath with the flanges. The cables would be detachable so you would just use a different cable instead of taking off the whole plate and modding it.

• Members

Hmm.. Interesting idea; I'm wondering whether this could introduce more RF noise into your signal. Your effects circuits are all encased in grounded enclosures, and your cables all have a grounded shield, but those jacks do not.

• Members

I still can't figure out what that does :o

What I want is a centralized box to ease setup on my pedalboard. That is, I want a guitar input in and out (guitar > input, effects output, effects input, output > amp) and an effects loop of the same thing (effects loop out > input, effects output, effects input, effects loop out > effects loop input). I guess that would be a switch box with 4 on one side, 4 on the other side, with no switches, but I haven't seen one like this yet. Basically, the guitar and amp input have 4 jacks, the effects loop of the amp has 4 jacks, all always on - the box is just there to provide an easy place to connect 4 cords and be done with the pedalboard setup.

Is that what this kind'of is? I somehow think not due to the description. I really wish I could find one :(

• Members

I still can't figure out what that does
:o

What I want is a centralized box to ease setup on my pedalboard. That is, I want a guitar input in and out (guitar > input, effects output, effects input, output > amp) and an effects loop of the same thing (effects loop out > input, effects output, effects input, effects loop out > effects loop input). I guess that would be a switch box with 4 on one side, 4 on the other side, with no switches, but I haven't seen one like this yet. Basically, the guitar and amp input have 4 jacks, the effects loop of the amp has 4 jacks, all always on - the box is just there to provide an easy place to connect 4 cords and be done with the pedalboard setup.

Is that what this kind'of is? I somehow think not due to the description. I really wish I could find one
:(

Thats what he made just with hardwired cables on the other board side of the connections.

• Members

to the above, i made a simple 8-jack box with plugs in the top. inputs for guitar and keys which lead to the signal chain, and outputs for both amps, with signals being received from the end of the effects chain.

super easy to make, super useful for quick setup/teardown.

• Members

Does RF shielding mean "radio frequency shielding"?

Yes. I once had a weekly gig at a place that was right next to giant repeater towers. It was truly fucked. First time we played there it took us most of an hour to position all the amps so as to lessen the massive and freakishly clear radio signals coming out of our amps. My tube amp was the worst :cry:

• 2 weeks later...

Archived