Next pedal build preview (DIY content)

cloudscapes

• Members

I doubt I'd release this one, it's so so so much assembly work compared to turmoil. also, the turmoil isn't extinct, I still intend on making a few. I did say it might take time, though. it probably wont be this summer, since I want to finish my next album for then, and I'm moving appartments.

Fair enough :cool:

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Is this based on the same chip the Vanishing Point and Ooh Wah use? In the same ballpark even?

ALso, any plans of selling PCBs or releasing the design? I have spare 1790NS that is begging for something obscene to be put inside it
:cop:

vanishing point uses a 4017 with a pulse generator. it's a great circuit but unfortunatelly only 8 steps. I tried cascading two of them but I wasnt smart enough to get it to work. instead I use a 4514 1of16 decoder and a 40193 binary counter, based off of this:

http://www.electronics-project-design.com/DisplayLED.html

it allows me to go up to 16 steps. then I lovingly borrowed (and tweaked slightly) the buffer half of the tremulus lune circuit and used a vactrol (led/ldr combo) to modulate it. various other tweaks.

I'll definatelly release a schematic and printable pcb traces! especially since I have no intention of building many of this. I'll just let the info out there and peopel can expand/improve it. dunno if I'd sell ready-made PCBs, maybe a few for just the cost of materials, since I'm basically heavily inspired by other people's work here.

• Members

i would solder the pots directly to the PCB. Wiring that baby up would otherwise be a nightmare
:D

I thougth of that too, but unlike LEDs which are a bit bendable, if I miss a hole by a milimeter, I'm stuck. and that sort of thing happens a lot for me, which is why I usually like to install pots seperatelly directly on the casing.

wiring won't be too bad. I only use two out of three lugs and all pots will be chained together for one of them.

• Members

I thougth of that too, but unlike LEDs which are a bit bendable, if I miss a hole by a milimeter, I'm stuck. and that sort of thing happens a lot for me, which is why I usually like to install pots seperatelly directly on the casing.

wiring won't be too bad. I only use two out of three lugs and all pots will be chained together for one of them.

I know what you mean :D

A possible work around would be to to install the pots down loosely, then solder the pots into position. This will allow you some flexibility to fix any mistake in drilling. It's harder, but worth it, because it'll look cleaner.

• Members

I know what you mean
A possible work around would be to to install the pots down loosely, then solder the pots into position. This will allow you some flexibility to fix any mistake in drilling. It's harder, but worth it, because it'll look cleaner.

I think it would only look cleaner on the inside. ;) on the outside, the spacing differences would be too small to notice, even if it's enough to mess up alignment on PCB-mount pots.

I'll probably drill and paint the enclosure tomorrow. too bad I can only start on etching the PCBs on the weekend

• Members

what are the different LEDs for?

I wonder if anyone ever try using slider pots. If these were any easy to place, i would definitely be using them more. Alot easy to memorize settings imo, and with a bizillion knobs, it'll look like a console

well the 16 upper leds are just indicators on which step the sequencer is at. so if your lfo is going one loop every seconds, then each led would light up every 16th of a second, sequentially. the itnensity of those leds also shows the intensity of the envilope at that step. as for the two lower leds, one is used for bypass, and the other just blinks in the "shape" that you've set your envilope to.

I would of loved to use slider pots! I agree it would of made envilope shaping far more easier, but I'm not equiped to punch slits in aluminum. one day I'l see if there's a shop in town I can use for that kind of stuff.

• Members

it's a trem. kind of works like the seek-trem but +1000

Got it. I still want one because this has enough steps to actually create complex rhythms. The seek trem doesn't really have enough and your extra functions will make it much more versatile. I want something that can do the rhythms of the empress but sound a bit better and be more customizable.

• Members

yeah thats why I built it. I LOVED the idea of the seek-trem, but 8 steps was too limited for the crazy {censored} I had in mind. I wont be playing just guitar through the thing. it's prolly really great for purcussive stuff too. glitch FTW!

I'm still toying with the idea of making three of it, but it wouldnt be untill autumn, at least. plus theres my ringmod I'd like to make a bunch of, too....

ugh, wish I had the time to do this full-time

Archived