Need an affordable sampler.

• Members

I'm looking for a good sampler for various types of electronic music; anything from jungle to electro. Since it would be my first one it would be nice if it was really affordable. I want to use it for some experimentation to begin with and then get a better one in the future once I understand how they function.

• Members

Akai Z8

Akai Z4

Akai S6000

Akai S5000

Korg Triton

Above is the most widely used hardware samplers from personal experience. There are several more but most people have converted to soft samplers from the others or keep some around as they are staples within their genre of music, for example, Hip Hop.

• Members

Two units that I have that can be had cheaply are the Emu E64 (or any E4 series) and the Yamaha A5000. The E64 is a piece of cake to master, but is very powerful. Unless you get one of the later units, unfortunately, it does not have internal FX however (the Z-Plane filters almost make up for this).

The Yamaha unit is a little harder to use (in my opinion) but learning it offers great dividends later. It has a monster FX section - I know people who keep it and use it just for its FX. Its filters are not as good (again in my opinion) than the EMU, but they get the job done. Both units can resample their own outputs, so you can keep processing and reprocessing sounds...really fun stuff.

Another unit you may consider (depending on budget) would be any of the MPC line. They are good no-nonsense samplers, but they also have a very powerful performance interface integrated with their sequencer. I have an MPC1000 and while I dont sample with it much, I do use it as a control sequencer constantly. Its amazingly simple to get a track going with just a few bits of audio and the samplers.

• Members

HARDWARE!!!

I'm getting sick and tired of using Fruity Loops. I've been using it for about four years and I want some hardware to use because sitting in front of the computer for hours on end gets boring

you are my man...try to get the emu 6400 or anything akai...also a very powerfull sampler is the ensoniq asr-10 perfect for sound shaping with the dp4 fx unit onboard and apart from that you can use the audio in to experiment with.. :thu:

• Members

Ok, now say I get a drum machine and a sampler. How do they coexist together? In other words, how do I use them to mix drum beats and say....sample FX that I got through my condenser mic.

easy there...the drum machine can trigger sounds on the sampler, and the sampler can record and reprocess sounds off the drum machine.

the classic treo for any electronic musician used to be synth, sampler, drum machine/sequencer.

Something like an Akai MPC1000 or MPC500 would handle both jobs. just add synth..

• Members

Ok, now say I get a drum machine and a sampler. How do they coexist together? In other words, how do I use them to mix drum beats and say....sample FX that I got through my condenser mic.

A drum machine will take care of the percussion. It depends on the type if it's sampled percussion - in that case you usually can't do much with it - or if it's "generated" percussion; e.g. a nice set of math allows you to fluidly change pitch, duration, etc. Boss DR, Alesis SR - sampled percussion (but you can program with it for a little bit). Jomox Xbase, Elektron Machinedrum - generated percussion (with some samples in there).

Anyway, there's no actual rules for cooperation, but here's some common uses:

- master/slave: the sampler will also contain percussion sounds but those the drum machine doesn't have and the drum machine controls it. The extreme is to let the drum machine just do the construction of the rhythm and the sampler each and every sound; not using any of the drum machine's own sounds.

- strangers: the sampler will do all the sounds the drum machine just can't possibly do

- collaborators: the sampler will contain sampled loops of the drum machine which get twisted/filtered/warped/reversed.

• Members

Those are good recommendations from yoozer...

If you are not going to sit in front of your computer using Fruity Loops, do you have a proper sequencer to control your hardware or computer remotely?

I think I would look into that first.

Check out:

RS7000 - have had this trigger multiple softsynths in Logic running Reason through Rewire, very good results...

Emu Command Stations - XL7 , MP7, PX7

MPC series

RM1X - budget RS7000...

Also look into MC-909 - some bugs, but great machine

MV-8800 and MV-8000

• Members

I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned the Korg ES-X. It's a great choice as a first hardware sampler. For some reason, it gets overlooked, perhaps the 'Tribes are not taken seriously, but the ES-x is truly capable. Best of all, it's not a great deal of work to set up, it's got 3 independently routable effects proscessors. Another overlooked feature is the "trig hold" motion sequence tracks (of which you get 24 per pattern). These lock a particular parameter to a particular value for each step of your sequence. Folks rave about this on the Machine drum and you get a beefed up version of that here. On some samplers, seemingly trivial tasks like playing a sample back in reverse, can be impossible or a hassle whereas there is a dedicated button for this on the ESX. The unit also features beat slicing, and time stretching.

Now don't get me wrong, it has some limitations as well, primarily no velocity sensitive pads (though the device responds to velocity when played externally), and a reliance on Smartmedia for sample transfer. If you want to get into "serious" sampling of orchestral instruments and velocity layered drums, this is not the way to go.

• Members

Hmmm.. you know I might take back my recommendations on using the RS7000 to trigger a computer.

It seemed to work well, but the problem is the damn RS7000 has such a tight sequencer, that even a small bit of latency on the computer makes the integration less than perfect. I will be going hardware... and its so bloody expensive finding synths that can do anything to compete with capabilities of my soft synths.

Still would uber recommend the RS7000, so good for programming beats. the more I use and learn it the more impressed.

BTW - wicked music Tony Scharf! Checked out the track on your MySpace track and it totally sucked me in.

Archived