So, like, is there any way to make the fuzz factory less bright?

• Members

If you turn the Stab control down you decrease the Fuzz Factory's brightness. Then gate any squeal with Comp control. Try and experiment with this setting I found and added to the Fuzz Factory Setting List, Goodbye High 3:00 3:00 5:00 12:00.
:thu:

I have to ask. What is your treble control setting on your amp? If it's way up, turn it down a little and the Fuzz Factory won't sound so bright.
:idea:

I am of the opinion that any modification to a Fuzz Factory changes the sound Zachary Vex intended and makes it into some abomination. The Fuzz Factory needs no modification if you know the pedal.
:)

You make some good points. However, the end user may want a slightly different sound.

No offense to Mr. Vex, but who gives a {censored} what he wants, when you want to get something more "you" out of a pedal.

I'm sure GM had something in mind when they built my car, but I bought aluminum wheels for it anyway. (My car costs about a Fuzz Factory per month.)

My .02

• Members

I would leave it alone and get a cheap EQ like a Fish & Chips or DOD FX40B.

If you've never done mods before, this is a pretty pricey pedal to be {censored}ing around with. I'd get over my phobia and just get an EQ.

With some creative tweaking and a finely tuned EQ I can get almost any Fuzz tone I can think of. Right now, I got it aping a Big Muff Pi no problem. And BMPs are about as scooped and bassy as you can get!

• Members

I would switch back to Radio Shack patch cords before I even
THOUGHT
about getting anywhere close to a vintage Shin-ei fuzz-wah with a soldering iron.
:eek:

Seriously, dude. Just put down the soldering iron and back away...
:cop:

I feel ya.. well, it def. wasn't there when I was using the crap GC cables but I'm certainly going to screw around with my output levels, eq and amp before I go for any modifications.

it wasn't that expensive, I'm going to get another one anyways.. love the fuzz wah!

• Members

I feel ya.. well, it def. wasn't there when I was using the crap GC cables but I'm certainly going to screw around with my output levels, eq and amp before I go for any modifications.

it wasn't that expensive, I'm going to get another one anyways.. love the fuzz wah!

How about going back to the old cables or trying different ones?

• Members

How about going back to the old cables or trying different ones?

The $77 question, true. Still figuring this out. I invested in low capacitance cables because the kind of frequency response I'm attempting to get:

There are some very expensive high-capacitance cables on the market with a sound you might like for some tunes, but then you are stuck with that one sound. Using a low-capacitance cable, you can easily change the circuit capacitance by using a push-pull tone control to switch capacitors -- one capacitor for clean sounds and another for distortion. This allows you to choose the right capacitor values to match the pickups, aiming for a 600-700 Hertz resonance for clean sound and a 1500-2200 Hertz resonance for distortion.~Bill Lawrence

I'm not into installing a push-pull tone control in my guitar (isn't that what the pickup select & tone knobs are doing anyways?). First thing, I've been dialing down all my treble/contour/bright switches. btw : the shredmaster went from always muddy to *Awesome*; tone knobs on the Tele were always at 10, not anymore..

I'll experiment with one of the old GC dynex cables in front of the shin ei, just to cut the freq response a little bit.. though I think it's because the unit is so old, maybe I need to get a pro to recondition it? then again, I might be struck down by lightning..:eek:

• Members

i don't have one myself but my other guitarist does,and he can get incredible sounds from the ff not trebley at all.he's {censored}ed with it so long i think he's got it mastered,if such a beast can be.he can get mellow smooth silky fuzz to all out raging scream.a,and can dial it in rather quickly.i think it's one of those pedals you have to {censored} with.he runs it into a line 6 pro and i believe he's got patches set up just for the ff.so i say,don't mod it learn it imo.i {censored}ed with it for a while but i can't get the hang of it ether.to much {censored} for me.

• Members

Cloudscapes did a mod where he can pop in different caps or resistors or something to make it more full sounding IIRC.

that I did.

ff_cap_mod.jpg

1. mutilated an IC jack so that it was only two pins worth.

2. removed the input and output electrolytic caps and stuck the frankenjacks there instead.

3. plugged a 22uf cap for the input and 47uf for the output

4. profit!

this will void your warantee

• Members

1. mutilated an IC jack so that it was only two pins worth.

A little suggestion for future mods...

The pins on those low profile sockets can usually be removed from the plastic base pretty easily by pushing them out from behind with a pair of longnose pliers. This will allow you to use the pins to socket just about any component, even if the pads on the PCB aren't on 1/10 inch centers.

• Members

Increasing the input and output caps will not reduce the high-frequency content at all. It will, however, increase the amount of low end both going into and coming out of the pedal.

The simplest fix for reducing high-frequency content on ANY pedal is to solder a small capacitor from the output of the circuit board at the stomp switch to ground, which is usually available on the switch as well. It can be tested very simply by twisting the leads around the switch lugs until a suitable value is found. Probably 0.1uF is about as big as that cap might be, and a proper value is probably somewhat smaller, although I've never tried this myself, just doing the math quickly in my head.

like you said,it increases bass hence appears to decrease highs.

you can also solder a small cap(.001uf) across collector and base of Q3 to reduce some of the high fizzyness.

Archived