So, like, is there any way to make the fuzz factory less bright?

• Members

change the input and output caps to 22uF.

i put this mod on the net over a year ago and its starting to take off just recently.

if you need help,just take a pic of the inside of your pedal and PM it to me and ill mark the caps you need to change for you.

• Members

I don't want to buy another pedal to make one sound better. I'm sure I read of something on here that took a lot of the highs off.

Cloudscapes where r u.

Since you've got your problem solved, I've got to ask, what's this all about?

Do you not use anything but one pedal, or what? You're obviously pleased to use a pedal to make your guitar and amp sound better, so what's wrong with getting an EQ to gain more precise and deeper tonal control? EQs are awesome, and very cheap.

I mean, to each his own, I just don't see how you could keep this philosophy consistently unless you use exactly one pedal at a time...

• Members

Since you've got your problem solved, I've got to ask, what's this all about?

Do you not use anything but one pedal, or what? You're obviously pleased to use a pedal to make your guitar and amp sound better, so what's wrong with getting an EQ to gain more precise and deeper tonal control? EQs are awesome, and very cheap.

I mean, to each his own, I just don't see how you could keep this philosophy consistently unless you use exactly one pedal at a time...

please explain?

cant he do whatever the heck he wants? i dont understand your arguement

• Members

i put this mod on the net over a year ago and its starting to take off just recently.

if you need help,just take a pic of the inside of your pedal and PM it to me and ill mark the caps you need to change for you.

Increasing the input and output caps will not reduce the high-frequency content at all. It will, however, increase the amount of low end both going into and coming out of the pedal.

The simplest fix for reducing high-frequency content on ANY pedal is to solder a small capacitor from the output of the circuit board at the stomp switch to ground, which is usually available on the switch as well. It can be tested very simply by twisting the leads around the switch lugs until a suitable value is found. Probably 0.1uF is about as big as that cap might be, and a proper value is probably somewhat smaller, although I've never tried this myself, just doing the math quickly in my head.

• Members

No need for :rolleyes: or getting offended. I'm just curious as to what you mean when you say you don't see a reason "to buy another pedal to make one sound better." It just seems like that's what we do.

I'm not making any kind of an "arguement," just asking a question. Nothing more meant by it.

If you don't want to respond, your choice, and I even said in my post that you're free to do whatever you want. Attitudes here are m-m-m-mega touchy...

Edit:

Increasing the input and output caps will not reduce the high-frequency content at all. It will, however, increase the amount of low end both going into and coming out of the pedal.

In other words, it's a means by which to equalize the content (specifically, boosting the bass response?)

So there isn't anything wrong with EQ, just something wrong with putting it on the other side of a patch cable ;)

• Members

I don't want to buy another pedal for a few reasons.

1) I don't want to shell out for one.

2) I don't have space on my pedalboard for one.

3) I see modding the pedal to get the sound I want from it a more attractive option.

• Members

Not at all, although I do have a strange phobia against EQ pedals. I've never liked them. I've always seen them as kinda unnecessary, always been of the philosophy that I should be able to get by without them. That's not to criticize those who do use them.

• Members

Yes, I did the 22uf cap increase for excellent results.

• Members

The simplest fix for reducing high-frequency content on ANY pedal is to solder a small capacitor from the output of the circuit board at the stomp switch to ground, which is usually available on the switch as well. It can be tested very simply by twisting the leads around the switch lugs until a suitable value is found. Probably 0.1uF is about as big as that cap might be, and a proper value is probably somewhat smaller, although I've never tried this myself, just doing the math quickly in my head.

cool info!

thanks

have an octavia i have always wished was less bright

• Members

cool info!

thanks

have an octavia i have always wished was less bright

How cool to find this thread, since I am trying to figure out the same thing for a shin ei companion fuzz-wah. ever since i upgraded patch cords to bill lawrence there's a hi freq whine i never heard before when the fuzz is on.

maybe i can figure this all out and do it myself..

• Members

How cool to find this thread, since I am trying to figure out the same thing for a shin ei companion fuzz-wah. ever since i upgraded patch cords to bill lawrence there's a hi freq whine i never heard before when the fuzz is on.

maybe i can figure this all out and do it myself..

I would switch back to Radio Shack patch cords before I even THOUGHT about getting anywhere close to a vintage Shin-ei fuzz-wah with a soldering iron. :eek:

Seriously, dude. Just put down the soldering iron and back away... :cop:

• Members

If you turn the Stab control down you decrease the Fuzz Factory's brightness. Then gate any squeal with Comp control. Try and experiment with this setting I found and added to the Fuzz Factory Setting List, Goodbye High 3:00 3:00 5:00 12:00. :thu:

I have to ask. What is your treble control setting on your amp? If it's way up, turn it down a little and the Fuzz Factory won't sound so bright. :idea:

I am of the opinion that any modification to a Fuzz Factory changes the sound Zachary Vex intended and makes it into some abomination. The Fuzz Factory needs no modification if you know the pedal. :)

Archived