TS9 with MXR Distortion +

D-River

• Members

I use my MXR for my main dirty sounds (I love the sound of this pedal setted with output ranging between 3 o'clock and 4 o'clock and distortion between 12 o'clock and 2 o'clock, but I hate it with distortion cranked 'cause it becomes too harsh) but I would like to add a booster for heavier parts; I was thinking about putting a ts9 before it...anyone ever tried this? how does it will sound? also do you know some other pedal that works good with the mxr? I also have a Russian Big Muff, but most of the times it's too loud; I play a mixture of post rock and alternative rock...

Another question on the ts9...just for curiosity...it's often used to boost another pedal or push a tube amp into breakup, but how does it sound on the clean channel of a solid state amp which doesn't break up at all? (I have a Peavey Bandit 65)

Thanks a lot!!!

• Members

A TS will give your Dist+ more mids. This will probably be best for a lead tone. If you are going for a thicker rhythm tone, you may want to consider something with more low end (or not so mid focused).

Using a TS with a clean solid state amp can be ok, I just usually prefer having more distortion on tap.

• Members

but how does it sound on the clean channel of a solid state amp which doesn't break up at all? (I have a Peavey Bandit 65)

Thanks a lot!!!

not great in my opinion.

• Members

I got a '83 TS9 around 1991. It sounded so thin w/ my Solid State Carvin amp that I gave up on it after 2 days. I put it away and for got about it. I got a MESA Tremoverb around 1994, pulled out the TS9 and that became the only pedal I used for the next 10 years.

A friend of mine uses the exact set up you're talking about, but he uses a Fender tube amp. He really likes his tone.

You can't go wrong having both of those pedals in your arsenal, but IIWY, I'd start researching good tube amps.

Archived