SD-1 for Sparkle Drive

krisnrg

• Members

Should I sell my SD-1 for about $30 and get a Sparkle Drive for about $70?

Is that a good deal for the Sparkle Drive? How do they sound? Do I really need it?

I have an OCD and a Fulldrive and I'm currently not using the SD-1...

Thanks for the advice

• Members

I HATE HATE my Sparkle Drive. It is just a tube screamer, same nasal honky tone. The clean blend feature is the most stupid feature in guitar history, it just does not sound good at all. NOBODY likes it in my group. If you get it, send it in for a Keeley Mod ASAP

If you have a OCD, what the heck do you want a Saprkle Drive for?

• Members

True story- When I got the pedal I turned up the gain and the clean to get the "layered" sound that the company hypes, and my singer looks over and say "why the hell would anyone want to do that"? That pretty much says it all bro,' if you want the uptight consitpated sound of a Screamer just buy a bad monkey new for 50 bucks. That will do the trick.

• Members

True story- When I got the pedal I turned up the gain and the clean to get the "layered" sound that the company hypes, and my singer looks over and say "why the hell would anyone want to do that"? That pretty much says it all bro,' if you want the uptight consitpated sound of a Screamer just buy a bad monkey new for 50 bucks. That will do the trick.

Do you know how to use it?

• Members

Right, I got mine this morning (cheers loobs) as an overdrive it's a pretty standard affair....quite a bit grittier than a Bad Monkey and my dod fx-50 (with the clean right down)....the clean mix is genius because if you throw it right over the griity overdrive turns into a fantastic clean boost that will pound your pre-amp valves beautifully. If it isn't pushing them quite enough you can blend a bit of extra grit in.....brilliant! :thu

• Members

I fear for your sanity. All dirt pedals would have a clean blend if I had my way.

I think there was some user error going on there....

...........he was probably trying to get heavy distortion from his peavey solid state with it.

• Members

No smart asses, there is no user error. I think I know how to run a pedal by now!:rolleyes:

I used an Orange rocker 30 and a Traynor YCV

Here is the problem: When you turn the clean up and the gain up, it sounds retarded, basically like someone is playing a clean guitar with someone shadowing him with a dirty guitar in the background. Dumb. Why???

As a clean boost its great- but just buy a clean boost pedal!

On low gain settings why would you need to blend in some clean signal? It has very little effect.

The Sparkle does not sparkle, it sounds like a Screamer- nasal, and honky and thins your tone. Like, yuck.

I read an interview with the founder of Toadworks and he hits the nail on the head when he says all screamers and their clones "sound like someone put a blanket over the amp." You would be better off using the gain on your amp.

• Members
No smart asses, there is no user error. I think I know how to run a pedal by now!
:rolleyes:

I used an Orange rocker 30 and a Traynor YCV

Here is the problem: When you turn the clean up and the gain up, it sounds retarded, basically like someone is playing a clean guitar with someone shadowing him with a dirty guitar in the background. Dumb. Why???

As a clean boost its great- but just buy a clean boost pedal!

On low gain settings why would you need to blend in some clean signal? It has very little effect.

The Sparkle does not sparkle, it sounds like a Screamer- nasal, and honky and thins your tone. Like, yuck.

I read an interview with the founder of Toadworks and he hits the nail on the head when he says all screamers and their clones "sound like someone put a blanket over the amp." You would be better off using the gain on your amp.

Plenty of people like the sound of a clean + dirty signal. Hence this pedals existence. Its a cheap and simple way to emulate having a clean and dirty amp running at the same time.

• Members

I guess what I hate the most is that (in addition to the {censored}ty TS-9 circuit that destroys your tube tone and makes you sound like a transistor radio) is that blending in the clean signal does not clean things up, instead it sounds like two guitars are playing. Not attractive. Whoever invented this pedal was not thinking with their ears they were just trying to come up with a gimmick to sell a TS clone.

• Members

I don't understand why you think that sounds 'retarded' :confused:

Lots of music I listen to has clean and distorted guitars together.

• Members

I don't understand why you think that sounds 'retarded'
:confused:

Lots of music I listen to has clean and distorted guitars together.

versatility is key

unless everything you play.... you want to sound the same.

• Members

You are right about the two guitar sound. I was thinking of the pedal's use in a traditional blues setting but for an indie, punk, etc. setting the pedal could be useful.

I just hate tube screamers so I'm biased, and my amps don't like overdrive pedals very much.

Archived