which fuzz

• Members

looking for a fuzz versitile enough to use as primary dirt,one that can clean up to an od to dist to all out fuzz.will be running it into a dc womanizer preamp.any suggestions?was thinking screw driver but don't want to wait two mo.for one.:confused:

• Members

Maybe I can help you twice :) This is a small demo of the Aramat Effects Mojo Fuzz. It's a Fuzz Face clone (well, he says it's not a clone, it's an upgrade, but you know what I mean). The biggest mod to the circuit is the inclusion of a potentiometer to adjust the bias. Fuzz Face has two knobs, Volume and Fuzz - this has three, Volume, Fuzz, and Mojo (bias). The bias control alone makes this well worth buying over the $99 Dunlop reissue, but the whole package is much better than that pedal - better parts all around, genuinely true bypass, high quality NOS germanium transistors, the works. Well, you can read up on it on the page I linked you to, and make sure to read the HC user reviews.

Amp in these clips is a THD Univalve running a 4x12 Trace Elliot oversized cabinet with an X-pattern of English Celestion V30s and WHGS American Vet30s. Guitar is my Fender Strat with the following pickup configuration:
Neck - Lace Blue
Middle - Lace Red
Bridge - Seymour Duncan JB Jr.

Pedal chain is Aramat Mojo Fuzz-->Danelectro Dan-Echo-->Marshall RF-1 Reflector Reverb

Well, here's the clips I promised. I'm having some difficulty with my mic preamp, it wants to clip at very reasonable volumes so I'm having to reduce the input volume drastically and then amplify that in my DAW, which of course runs me smack into the noise floor issue... But this'll give you a good idea how the Aramat Mojo Fuzz does its thing. I decided to take the OD out of the signal path so you'd get a clearer picture of the Mojo Fuzz alone.

First, a clean clip of the amp and guitar as set up so you can get a basis for comparison:

numc

Now for the two fuzzy clips. Playing won't blow you away, hopefully the responsiveness will? The pedal settings are unchanged throughout the entirety of both of these clips: volume a bit over noon (roughly unity gain), Fuzz maxed, and Mojo(bias) at a bit over noon. The only thing I'm doing differently is switching the guitar's pickup selector and reducing its volume. First, a straightforward demo of its ability to respond to volume and picking dynamics, and to get nasty when pushed.

xqwr

This next clip is cheesy white dude blues. I have a bad back (four herniated discs in my lumbar region!
:eek:
and it makes me pretty blue sometimes), and it's a stormy tuesday, so why not? (Stormy Monday backing track in G courtesy of some dude in the Guitar Jams forum)

dhkk

Hope that helps
:thu:

Edit: If you have trouble streaming the track, just use the "download" side, it should transfer fine.

• Members

Screwdriver isn't a fuzz.

A OCD is an option, its an overdrive, but can reach fuzz like characteristics. Double Muff maybe?

Then what is a Screwdriver? This is what Skreddy says on his website: "This unique Skreddy Pedals design features a mosfet treble-boost input stage followed by a highly modified, tightly-controlled, hybrid fuzz circuit. Every aspect of the Screw Driver

• Members
looking for a fuzz versitile enough to use as primary dirt,one that can clean up to an od to dist to all out fuzz.will be running it into a dc womanizer preamp.any suggestions?was thinking screw driver but don't want to wait two mo.for one.
:confused:

one of devi's

• Members

what about the hoof fuzz?is it responsive?and what about the little v8 thingy,cati something or other????not really looking for a raw fuzz but one that cleans up real good with guitar volume roll off,almost a pedal i can leave on all the time,is there such a monster?

• Members

what about the hoof fuzz?is it responsive?and what about the little v8 thingy,cati something or other????not really looking for a raw fuzz but one that cleans up real good with guitar volume roll off,almost a pedal i can leave on all the time,is there such a monster?

The v8 thingy is the Catalinbread V8. That's supposed to have a big range. And is super small in size.

Also, there's the Muff Overdrive (which is E-H's Muff Fuzz circuit)--that cleans up majorly with the volume knob. But you'd need the Double Muff version (1 Muff Fuzzes, 1 cup...err...1 pedal) to get near the really big sounds. It's not typical fuzz, but it's pretty awesome sounding.

• Members

Let me also suggest the Fulltone Soul Bender. This is a wonderful pedal that I only recently acquired. It has a very good range and I find myself using it more than any of my other dirt pedals. It does classic rock and blue better than anything else I

• Members

Sounds to me like your describing a Fuzz Face. Maybe you should try a few Gi and Si versions and see which you prefer.

As far as brand loyalty goes, Analogman's Fuzzes are top shelf. I have a High Gain NKT SunFace and a Peppermint Fuzz. Both can clean up nearly all the way but have some grit when you dig in. The SunFace (Fuzz Face) is amp-like. The Peppermint has this breathing ethereal-buzz haloed around otherwise clean notes. Very cool.

I'm sure all the other suggestions are great too, but a higher gain Gi or an Si Fuzz Face clone sounds like what you're after.

Archived