Keyboard/Mixing/Recording Studio Monitors

Palaver

• Members

what he said about the mackies. don't buy a mackie speaker product, the quality control is no where near what it was.

A couple of the best quality items of gear I have were made in china - I think one of them is even a chinese company who these days seem to have a good reputation for build quality and consitency as well as being very good products.

• Members

i've no problem with the mackies as 'project monitors', but i fail to see the difference between 'project' and 'mixing' monitors.

Project, Mixing, and Mastering monitors.

Project monitors are general purpose. Between monitors you would use for mixing or mastering.

NS10's are great mixing monitors because if you can get a mix to sound good on them, then they generally sound good on just about anything but they are not great monitors to listen to for long recording sessions and not great mastering monitors because they don't have the clarity.

The opposite goes for mastering types like the Genelec's.

IMHO, speaker types fall more or less into these types. Some more toward mastering strengths and some to mixing strengths but I get back to the fact that it depends on human perception and "Knowing" your monitors.

• Members

ok.

took me a little while to find a suitable file-hosting service
:mad:

http://boomp3.com/m/5028d8b066ee

take a listen to the bass issues in that track. that's after calibration of the JBLs with both pink noise and sine wave.

of course, there is a certain amount of human error that could enter into things, but this guy's a fairly experienced dude so he knows what he's doing (most of the time
:D
).

Muzik and Pal, i'd like to tell you to try it out for yourself but with stuff like monitors it's really hard, that's why i'm being a stubborn dick about this
;)

I can't listen to this right now. I keep getting an internal server error message.

It's not a stubborn dick thing. 2 men CAN simply agree to disagree and it be OK. :cool:

• Members

True, but they are not final mixed and mastered in their homes.
;)

They may as well have been - sample + beat of an MPC + grunting rap dood aint hard to mix and as for the mastering - aint that just crank everything to the max to squash it to oblivion? ;)

• Members

They may as well have been - sample + beat of an MPC + grunting rap dood aint hard to mix and as for the mastering - aint that just crank everything to the max to squash it to oblivion?
;)

Yeah, and it's all done on Mackie 824's, the Hip Hop standard. :D

• Members

Listen to several brands for yourself. Only you can give the answer of which best suits you. Mackie to me are sterile sounding. For lower price brands thinks KRK sound the best in the price catagories shopping. For higher price would go with B&W, Elf, or other similiar higher end brand ($600 or more the pair) with stereo amp of choice driving them. JBL is also good very musical speaker but a bit pricey for their powered studio monitors imo. But again, only your own ears can give you a good answer for which brand and model in your budget range to pick. Guitar Centers ussually have several brands in their listening room. Go visit your nearest one as one good way to get started. Buying speakers purely on others reccomendation is foolish imo and totally disregards the perdsonal preference factor that most others use to make their choice.

• Members

Listen to several brands for yourself. Only you can give the answer of which best suits you. Mackie to me are sterile sounding. For lower price brands thinks KRK sound the best in the price catagories shopping. For higher price would go with B&W, Elf, or other similiar higher end brand ($600 or more the pair) with stereo amp of choice driving them. JBL is also good very musical speaker but a bit pricey for their powered studio monitors imo. But again, only your own ears can give you a good answer for which brand and model in your budget range to pick. Guitar Centers ussually have several brands in their listening room. Go visit your nearest one as one good way to get started. Buying speakers purely on others reccomendation is foolish imo and totally disregards the perdsonal preference factor that most others use to make their choice.

I agree in principle with what you are saying, however the stark reality is auditioning a speaker in some shop tells you near nothing about how its going to sound in your own studio unless you have very good accoustics *AND* the shop has equally good accoustics.

Its a lottery either way unles you can reduce the variables.

• Members

I found a good deal on ebay for a set of Mackie HR624 (the first American version). My reason- my album was mixed on these (www.myspace.com/palaverband). I trust them and like the sound of them. I am also familiar with it. I got them for 800 CDN for a pair, and the user has sold over 500 items (specifically highend studio gear). He also has a 100% rating... so I figure it's definitely a risk worth taking, and he says they are mint.

I messaged him with a few questions, and I got some stands to go with them! I am certainly going to give this Black Lion Audio upgrade a serious consideration.

Does anyone else have experience with Black Lion Audio and their upgrades?

Thanks,

Phil

Archived