DOD delays (analog)

• Members

Ok folks so who has used the dod fx90 or fx96 analog delays? looking at maybe getting one or the other and i was wondering what their relative good/bad points were? The extra control on the fx96 looks pretty useful but is it really?

Cheers,

Olly

• Members

(from a previous thread i got when i first had the FX90 arrive in the post):

the FX90 is bloody lovely! wipes the floor with the DM-2 for me. i got to tweaking the trim pots aswell and got more delay time out of it. from just under 320ms up to 370ms without the high pitched noise you get when tweaking the DM-2's delay time.

there's also a pot for feedback which i left at max so the option of the cacophany is there, and a trim pot for bias or general alignment i guess - this has a few golden positions either side of the dead centre 'perfect' setting where the repeats get grungier and decay less naturally. i actually preferred one of these settings to the 'proper' setting.

if i set the feedback knob to maximum a get maybe 18 repeats by striking a muted chord or something. if i play really quietly there's no delay , as i play progressively harder the number of repeats increases. so at full tilt, tremolo picking post-rock shenanigans the repeats send themselves into a distorted wash of feedback which just sounds amazing.

My DE-7 in echo mode just sounds lifeless in comparison.

love the FX90. DE-7 killer. DM-2 slayer.

• Members

(from a previous thread i got when i first had the FX90 arrive in the post):

the FX90 is bloody lovely! wipes the floor with the DM-2 for me. i got to tweaking the trim pots aswell and got more delay time out of it. from just under 320ms up to 370ms without the high pitched noise you get when tweaking the DM-2's delay time.

there's also a pot for feedback which i left at max so the option of the cacophany is there, and a trim pot for bias or general alignment i guess - this has a few golden positions either side of the dead centre 'perfect' setting where the repeats get grungier and decay less naturally. i actually preferred one of these settings to the 'proper' setting.

if i set the feedback knob to maximum a get maybe 18 repeats by striking a muted chord or something. if i play really quietly there's no delay , as i play progressively harder the number of repeats increases. so at full tilt, tremolo picking post-rock shenanigans the repeats send themselves into a distorted wash of feedback which just sounds amazing.

My DE-7 in echo mode just sounds lifeless in comparison.

love the FX90. DE-7 killer. DM-2 slayer.

Oooh nice, that sounds like exactly what i am after! Am gonna pair it with an rv3 for the long clean delay type stuff so the dirtier the better as far as i am concerned, just have to hope no meanie out ebays me!

• Members
aww are you sure, that is the one i was going for!

well I cetainly don't want to get into a bidding war with another forumite, it just means one of us will end up paying more than we need to....I won't bid anymore if you give me first dibs if you ever sell it. :thu:

ps, my max bid is

• Members
well I cetainly don't want to get into a bidding war with another forumite, it just means one of us will end up paying more than we need to....I won't bid anymore if you give me first dibs if you ever sell it. :thu:

ps, my max bid is

• Members
cool, just keep your mits off the FX-10 Bi-fet finishing an hour before that delay!!!
;)

thats on my watch list too. Melx.. i think you and i are in the middle of a cheap DOD-buying war!

i know i like the early modulation/delays but i'm getting more tempted by the old gain pedals now aswell.. thrashmaster, classic tube etc.. at around

• Members

I have an fx90 and I love it

same here, and I just got a fx57 which is the hard rock distortion with a built in slapback delay. Apparently there are trim pots to increase the delay time inside but even as it came stock I had fun turning the dist down and have a somewhat dirty delay with eq (presence control)

Archived