but it boosts my gain and adds no volume it seems

i play it into my ceriatone plexi or valve junior mostly

my big muff and OCD add volume as well as gain

What boost will just boost volume?

i am thinking about a build your own clone triboost

will that do it?

thanks

• Members

Turn down the amp, then any boost will do. If you still need gain, put a distortion pedal in front. Seriously, you're asking to break the laws of physics. The amp is distorting already because it won't go any louder.

Now, I always thought boost did make it louder. Not the peaks, but the average, and single notes come out as loud as unboosted chords. But that's not trying for the chords background, lead 100 miles out front thing you hear on some recordings. A lot of the time, the amp's help in making the volume more consistent, and the "extremely amp-like response" of louder, dirtier, pull back, cleaner, are GOOD things.

You can also make an amp seem louder with the right EQ or feeding it some ass-ripping fuzz.

• Members

You can also make an amp seem louder with the right EQ or feeding it some ass-ripping fuzz.

That is what i'm thinking

that the treble boost will make my stuff SOUND louder

or atleast make it cut through more

cause it's just more gainy now

which can be good, but not for all solo applications

• Members

try an eq in the fx loop.it will boost it quite a ways and you can ajust the sliders for what ever kind of attack you want from mellow to razor sharp.if you don't have a loop you can do a search.there's a co. that makes a plug in type that you pull a tube out and insert the device with a tube.if its s.s.there's also a way to mod it.but again a loop is the best possible way to increase volume to your liking.anything else is just gonna saturate the input and make it disapear inthe mix

• Members
so i have been looking for that pop in effects loop and can't find it

any help?

I don't think either of those amps have a loop .... you are running the boost after the Muff? That gets most drive to amp. Or boost the Muff and use turning off the Muff as the volume boost ;) .... Or are you comparing boost + boost (muff etc.) or do you just have the amp cranked?

• Members

I also have the Boosta Grande, but it does exactly what it's supposed to do. But then I'm not using it with a cranked amp. I imagine at some point, as mentioned, if there's no headroom left, there's not much any boost can do. I also have an MXR EQ pedal, and while it can boost, it isn't as effective as the Boosta Grande. Try other boosters, but it seems maybe the problem lies elsewhere, and not with the BG.

• Members

my plexi has the imputs jumpered together and both volume are on about 3
but i have a PPIMV
and im assuming that's what keeping it from getting loud?
i need to know about this effects loop business
i think the BYOC tri boost will make my amp sound louder
because it has a treble boost and a mid boost
but i still don't get why my ocd makes my amp louder but the boosta grande doesn't

• Members

it's a ceriatone plexi
not an original or anything
so your saying that if i use the mid boost on the triboost
that will do what i am looking for?
also i went to my amp tech today and talked to him, not about this
but he mentioned he would sell me an effects loop kit for my plexi for $20
just a thought

Archived