Pedal Puzzle

• Members

What is YOUR theoretical setup? How would you, personally, route these if they ALL needed to be in a chain? (all True Bypass)

Reverb

Chorus

Fuzz

Overdrive

Tremolo

Volume

Digital Delay

Analog Delay

Pitch Shifter/Vibrato (either/or)

Looper

Octave

Bit Crusher

Ring Modulator

1/2 Buffers

Compressor

Phaser

Boost

Personally,

Fuzz -> Buffer -> Compressor -> Overdrive -> Octave -> Bit Crusher -> Ring Modulator -> Phaser -> Chorus -> Pitch Shifter/Vibrato -> Tremolo -> Volume -> Looper -> Digital Delay -> Analog Delay -> Reverb -> Boost -> Buffer

;)

• Members

I can't be bothered to put them in specific order, but pretty much these before the amp:

Compressor, Boost, Phaser, Fuzz, Overdrive, Octave.

and these in the FX loop:

Volume, Chorus, Tremolo, Pitch Shifter/Vibrato Digital Delay, Analog Delay, (either/or), Bit Crusher, Ring Modulator, Looper, Reverb,

Dunno what 1/2 Buffers means.

Having that many pedals hooked up will sound like ass even if they're all off. I'd probably put 2-3 pedals in true bypass loops to reduce the signal path.

• Members

Having that many pedals hooked up will sound like ass even if they're all off. I'd probably put 2-3 pedals in true bypass loops to reduce the signal path.

3" cable in between pedals + TB + 2 buffers = 6ft of cable. If 6ft of cable plus 2 buffers can sound like ass, you must be using the highest cap cable I have ever heard of. ;)

• Members

Just play your setup with 17 pedals plugged in, then play it without, and listen out for how your guitar interacts with the amp with all that extra stuff going on.

That's my point, with TB, its literally as if they weren't even there. There is no "extra stuff" besides 2 buffers. Just because it looks big and like "a lot" to the eye doesn't change physics.

• Members

Having that many pedals in a signal chain would most likely require more than just 2 buffers to preserve the signal.

I personally wouldn't run anything into a loop with all those pedals. I'd just run them all in front of the amp. But....that's just me.

• Members

Having that many pedals in a signal chain would most likely require more than just 2 buffers to preserve the signal.

The main factor in any signal chain for noise degradation is your cable. The pedals, when switched off, have a micro ohm impact on the signal. 30ft decent cables can have somewhere around a 1 ohm resistance... meaning that if you were to get rid of cable, and chain TB pedals jack to jack to each other, it would require 1,000,000 TB pedals to affect the signal as much as a 30ft cable.

It's just that, to our eyes, we see tons of surface area and pedals so we equate surface area/area = signal loss. This is not the case at all.

• Members

The main factor in any signal chain for noise degradation is your cable. The pedals, when switched off, have a
micro
ohm impact on the signal. 30ft decent cables can have somewhere around a 1 ohm resistance... meaning that if you were to get rid of cable, and chain TB pedals jack to jack to each other, it would require 1,000,000 TB pedals to affect the signal as much as a 30ft cable.

It's just that, to our eyes, we see tons of surface area and pedals so we equate surface area/area = signal loss. This is not the case at all.

Tell Pete Cornish that. But hey....whatever works for you.

• Members

I guess my reasoning, and the reasoning shared by others is that if you have 10 pedals, all TB that are connected with 1ft cables and 2 cables that are 21ft long...you'll have 51 ft of cable seperating your guitar from your amp. I think any audio signal traveling that far would be impacted.

• Members

I guess my reasoning, and the reasoning shared by others is that if you have 10 pedals, all TB that are connected with 1ft cables and 2 cables that are 21ft long...you'll have 51 ft of cable seperating your guitar from your amp. I think any audio signal traveling that far would be impacted.

I agree 100%. However I was thinking more along the lines of 1-3" straight jack lava cable connections... so in my head, I wasn't going over maybe 3ft of interconnect max (with 17 pedals).

Either way, It's that damn 42ft of guitar cable that is causing most of the problem, and 1 buffer per 22.5 ft of cable actually seems a little overkill... (but so does 17 pedals in a chain :p)

I think, from what I've read, Pete Cornish's case is "true bypass without a buffer will seriously degrade your signal," which I believe we can all agree on.

• Members

get analogman to build you a TB loop switcher/AB box so you can punch in/out all this...

Chorus

Tremolo

Volume

Digital Delay

Pitch Shifter/Vibrato (either/or)

Looper

Octave

Bit Crusher

Ring Modulator

Phaser

Boost

in one click of a switch,it'll cut down tapdancing and the lenght of the signal chain

Archived