Amp Advice Needed: What to do with my Hiwatt?

Kid_A

• Members

Dilemma here lads...

Okay, I've been wanting to offload my Hiwatt Custom 20 (2xEL84s) for an orange combo (Rocker 30?) or some other combo... dunno.

Plus im not sure if the hiwatt is the sound we need now... when I got the Hiwatt I was playing indie stuff, now im in darker territory and need a big sound.

Could i just up the valves? To get a bigger sound? What about speakers... Ontop of all this, I dont have much to spend either so dont be telling me to get a

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Ewww. Hiwatt for a Rocker 30 combo?.. you're out of your mind.

I would keep the Hiwatt, get some sort of thickening pedal/possibly a new guitar pickup, and rock it through a semi-decent 2x12.

See this is why I need you lot... Sometimes I really dont know what im doing... just need pointing in the right direction

• Members

I don't know what kind of sound you're going for but there's nothing a good Overdrive couldn't deal with unless it's really playing without mic-ing up all the time.

Try through a good 4x12, maybe a mesa or an orange. Those add a lot of thickness to your sound.

• Members
I don't know what kind of sound you're going for but there's nothing a good Overdrive couldn't deal with unless it's really playing without mic-ing up all the time.

Try through a good 4x12, maybe a mesa or an orange. Those add a lot of thickness to your sound.

I got a vintage marshall 4x12 with greenbacks but thats had to stay at my parants house, me and the missus live in a flat (4 floors up!) so 4x12s have to be ruled out :cry:

Would a 2x12 and some vintage 30s be the right way to go?

• Members

buy my triple recto, nothing BUT huge, menacing sound.

Good idea! I better sell my testicles to the furry looking man next door then :poke:

Im actually playing it through my mates borrowed broken Orange AD5 1x12 combo (Only the speaker works). I know your going to say i need a bigger cab, but its not that. I used to use it all the time with my 4x12, im just worried the 20 watts is a little short on headroom.

• Members
Good idea! I better sell my testicles to the furry looking man next door then :poke:

Im actually playing it through my mates borrowed broken Orange AD5 1x12 combo (Only the speaker works). I know your going to say i need a bigger cab, but its not that. I used to use it all the time with my 4x12, im just worried the 20 watts is a little short on headroom.

I love me some 1x12" combos. You don't need a bigger cab, you need 150 tube driven watts. :thu:

• Members
yeah 20 watts usually dont stay clean at high levels....

so i would get a new amp.....maybe a matamp with at least 50 watt ?

the custom 50 hiwatt hase huge headroom tho but might be too expensive.

or maybe them new laneys ?

TBH I wouldn't be surprised if the 20W Hiwatt has every bit as much clean headroom as a 50W Matamp. If he's looking at an Orange Rocker though I don't know if clean headroom is the highest priority. A 20-watter through a 4x12 gets plenty loud, if dirty. Certainly louder than most 1x12 combos.

• Members

yeah 20 watts usually dont stay clean at high levels....

so i would get a new amp.....maybe a matamp with at least 50 watt ?

the custom 50 hiwatt hase huge headroom tho but might be too expensive.

or maybe them new laneys ?

Lionhearts? Nah, I tried one the other day and wasn't too impressed. I'd stick with the hiwatt or look into something else. What sort of sound are you going for Daz?

• Members

The 20 watt Hiwatt head is a pretty average amp. It sounds nothing like the DR amps from the Hylight era. Those are the amps that made Hiwatt famous. The 20 watter has alot of gain, very little head room, and a ton of compression. You can get some super saturated lead tones, but not much versatility. That amp is also way overpriced. At least in the USA it is.

Archived