5 or 6 space rack?

• Members

I'm ordering a flight case tomorrow that's going to hold my Mesa Dual Rectifier head, my Bogner Shiva head, and some rack pieces. BUT I can't decide on how many rack spaces I need. I know I'm going to have a Korg Tuner, a Furman Power Conditioner, and a wireless (so that's 3 spaces already used). Now...

5 spaces=2 space drawer or 2 possible pieces in the future

6 spaces=3 space drawer or 3 possible pieces in the future

Any input? I really don't know what I'd add to the rack in the future or if a 3 space drawer is a more reasonable than a 2 space drawer. Haha this seems like a really stupid question, but I plan on using this case for the rest of my life so I gotta think ahead :/

• Members
Where's Zachman?

:wave:

To the OP- It's ALWAYS prudent to plan for future growth and when dealing with a custom setup like the one you're working on, go bigger. That being said, I prefer to have my amps and rack gear in separate cases because it makes choosing to downsize much easier (IF you find the desire/need), and amps AND rack gear in the same case becomes VERY heavy and bulky VERY quickly.

My $.02

Best of luck :thu:

• Members

If this rack will already be holding your Mesa and Shiva heads, I don't think getting 5 spaces over the 6 will have any real space saving benefits. I'd vote for the 6 spaces since the only benefit to getting the 5 is to save space for managability and with the 2 heads in this setup, there's really no benefits. With the 6 you're open to a little more options later in the future.

I also like smaller separated modular racks where you can carry one small/medium rack in each arm vs. one large rack setup with casters. This is much easier to manage in/out of the car and up any stairs.

Archived