Delay pedal for sustain on lead?

RoboCop00

• Members

well, politely, first off I dont like the idea of calling what a digital delay does "sustain"

i have the digi delay and love it. what you are trying to do would be on setting 1 or 2 with the repeats JUST NOT quite at 100% cranked.

The issues with trying to use delay for sustain like this are quite obvious. if you use a shorter millisecond time like setting 1 (slapback style delay) with a lot of repeats, the repeats get over with probably too soon for what you are trying to accomplish. I think that the endless repeats setting on a slapback setting doesnt sound "tight" enough to be considered sustain.

with setting 2 the minimal setting will kind of provide what you want on maximum delay, but the initial delay is too long between repeats to be considered sustain.

you need either a sustainer (like a compressor) or a pedal with better levels of sustain or gain (a la a muff or higher gain OD)

others may have suggestions, but in my opinion, using delay for sustain is like using panning flange for tremolo -- it kinda works, but not really

Archived