Marshall Questions

BgUnited

• Members

I want to get some new distortion pedals. I own a Rat but don't really like it. I also have a TS808 but want something different.

There are 3 kinds of pedals i'm considering and I want to choose 2.

1. Marshall Shredmaster

2. Marshall Guv'nor

3. Marshall Drivemaster

How do each of these compare? I play stuff like Arctic Monkeys, The Strokes, Coldplay, Radiohead, Sigur Ros, Kings of Leon, and Arcade Fire stuff. So I need one to be able to go somewhat of a light-mid overdrive and the other to sound good when it's not on full blast distortion. Sort of like a Fans by Kings of Leon tone or Pop is Dead by Radiohead (I know J.G. uses a shredmaster so i'm guessing I could get that tone fine with a SM). Since i'm not able to try them out and some of the demo vids aren't that good I just wondered what your opinions were.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

From what I understand, the guv'nor and drivemaster are similar. They all are for that matter. I don't think you'd need 2. Just pick the one you can find... if you are looking for originals.

byoc sells shredmaster clones

• Members

The drivemaster seems very "crunchy". I don't know if it'll be too much/sound horrible at low drive settings for what I need. For my distortion I think a shredmaster might fit. If it's too much then a drivemaster might even fit when it's set at high gain for my distoriton place and for overdrive i'll look into an SD-1.

• Members

The drivemaster seems very "crunchy". I don't know if it'll be too much/sound horrible at low drive settings for what I need. For my distortion I think a shredmaster might fit. If it's too much then a drivemaster might even fit when it's set at high gain for my distoriton place and for overdrive i'll look into an SD-1.

:rolleyes:

• Members

Wat?

• Members

the drivemaster sounds really boxey to me.. :idk:

i got an original guv'nor recently.. sounds great but def isn't high gain. nice overdrive, and none of the hum you get with the later shred and drive masters. :poke:

• Members

i got an original guv'nor recently.. sounds great but def isn't high gain. nice overdrive,
and none of the hum you get with the later shred and drive masters. :poke:

i got one (an original Guv'nor) today - nearly mint condition too - and agree with what Gareth said. i've been using mine today with the gain on full and it's still very dynamic and not high gain.

the eq and gain are very interactive, there are lots of great tones (and not-so-great ones) to be had.

• Members

i got one (an original Guv'nor) today - nearly mint condition too - and agree with what Gareth said. i've been using mine today with the gain on full and it's still very dynamic and not high gain.

the eq and gain are very interactive, there are lots of great tones (and not-so-great ones) to be had.

have you tried the fx insert loop yet Kev?

thats pretty messed up.. stick a few more gain pedals in there and crank them all up.. skadoosh! :eek:

• Members

i think what he trying to say is, "Blah blah blah, i love jonny greenwood, blah blah blah.

lol jbrazz give the kid a break, hahaa

umm well, if those are all to heavy for you the bluesbreaker is from the same series that one is a little lower gain i believe. correct me if im wrong

• Members

have you tried the fx insert loop yet Kev?

thats pretty messed up.. stick a few more gain pedals in there and crank them all up.. skadoosh!
:eek:

no i haven't; though i am planning to. :thu:

do you know where the Loop is in the circuit? i'm assuming it's post overdive.

• Members

no i haven't; though i am planning to.
:thu:

do you know where the Loop is in the circuit? i'm assuming it's post overdive.

yeh, its after the guvnors overdrive. i was hoping it was parallel.. i wonder if it could be modded..:eek:

• Members

The Guv'nor has been my main distortion pedal for nearly 20 years now (god that makes me sound old!). That loop feature is really cool with non switching 2 channel amps (like a twin reverb) becuase you can run the loop into the normal channel and the normal output into the reverb/tremelo channel. So you can get a clean sound with trem + reverb and with one kick of the guvnor a dry overdriven sound (+ any pedals after the guvnor you want ).

Very useful and works really well making full use of both amp channels.

Oh, and 20 years on, I've never had any technical issues with it. Solid as a rock.

The sound? JCM800 in a box.

• Members

The Guv'nor has been my main distortion pedal for nearly 20 years now (god that makes me sound old!). That loop feature is really cool with non switching 2 channel amps (like a twin reverb) becuase you can run the loop into the normal channel and the normal output into the reverb/tremelo channel. So you can get a clean sound with trem + reverb and with one kick of the guvnor a dry overdriven sound (+ any pedals after the guvnor you want ).

that's quite an interesting use for the loop. so just using a mono cable in the loop and it's an A/B switcher.

• Members

I've got a shredmaster.

You mention bands that i listen to and take in as influences as well. So i'm assuming i'm in the same boat as you.

I use a tele, ac30, and try and cop some of the tones from the bands you listed.

As far as my search for dirt goes.

I've narrowed it down to the SD1, Hotcake, and Shredmaster. Though i'm still going through this for improvements. Just picked of the artists and started collecting and comparing.

So far the only one that is an extreme keeper is the Shredmaster. its just sick. I use it for the higher gain lead work and stuff in that nature. Its nasty and gainy. Not "metal shred" gainy. So if you want intricate power chord type stuff this is not the pedal for you. Feedback comes with this pedals territory.

Second, i'm losing favor of the SD1. I'm about to put my Lovepedal Eternity back on my board to see how it interacts with my Ac30. And if that doesn't do better than the SD1 than i'm getting an OD3.

The Hotcake sounds great, and works great with an Ac30. But i don't think it has enough sustain in teh setting that i use for it to be considered a keeper on my board. It gets a bit fizzy and hairy past noon on the gain. SO its just not working out with the sustain.

• Members

my marshall in a box:

JCM800B.jpg

HO

HEY HO

HO

HEY HO

HO

HEY HO

HO

HEY HO

When Your Light Is On The Blink