Effects loop vs front of amp

uz3r

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I run all my fx up front. But don't let the poll result decide for you - wether to use the loop or not depends a lot on how you use your amp.

Just like a compressor, distortion will make the quiet bits a lot louder compared to the loud bits. So if you have delay in front of distortion, the repeats will get much louder when you kick in the dirt.

If you run the amp more or less clean (using pedals for distortion), the fx loop won't make much difference. Just make sure the delay is somewhere after the distortion pedals, and everything will be fine. However, if you do use the amp's distortion channel, the only way to get the delay in after distortion is to use the loop.

More fx loop ramblings here: http://www.stinkfoot.se/andreas/diy/articles/loop.htm

/Andreas

• Members

Time based effects don't work well before any of my amps when compared to in the loop - passable maybe, but not at their best. This was best emphasised by the Verbzilla in Octo mode which sounded pristine in the loop but mushy before the amp in all cases on the clean channels.

I think it is strongly dependant on just how clean your amps really are, and maybe mine always add some slight grit through the preamp. The Mesa F50 sounded best, but the Engl and Marshall were blatantly better with it in the loop.

• Members

I have everything up front.... though I'm not using a high gain amp and I set my amp to a mild break up so the delays are fine to my ears. When I do play high gain stuff i use pedals for that and well.... I have my delay after the distortion pedals....

I have a friend who is big in to experimenting with sounds etc and he loves nothing better than taking the odd route.... he told me recently he starting putting his delays before his distortions and has been getting all kinda wack out sounds.... so I guess it comes down to what sounds good to you and what you're trying to do.

• Members

i load all my effects through the front of my amps, the only times i used an effects loop usually is for digital delays or modulation type things. none of my current amps really have effects loops besides the v4, and it sounds better with effects in front anyway.

but, i am a firm believer in the magic of a DMM in front of nearly any amp.

• Members

Interesting that a significant majority of people who commented beleive that the loop is the better option for dirty amps yet the poll results clearly show the opposite.

Im definitely going to do some experimenting on the weekend!

• Members

Listen to Jakob, the guitarist gets a cool sound by running delay in front with high-gain. I'm not sure how to describe it but it sounds like it's drowning and every so often it'll come up to breathe and you can hear the notes clearly. :p

• Members

Interesting that a significant majority of people who commented beleive that the loop is the better option for dirty amps yet the poll results clearly show the opposite.

a lot of people don't use dirty amps here. they use pedals for distortion

Archived