photo log - Refinishing an acoustic Ovation copy

hangwire

• Members

I like having this cheap Ovation acoustic electric copy. Cost $50, and with the piezo, I can put nylon strings on it and be able to get scratch pad ideas recorded easier.

Issue, the finish is ugly in my eyes. Blue foto-burst-flame with these "leaf" sound hole things...

So, I got the idea from the Acoutsic forum to get this Formby's stuff... and here is how it went...:

the guitar:

2ptcn5y.jpg

close up of the finish:

290wtno.jpg

outside getting stuff together to do it:

2iiew52.jpg

the stuff:

30n94jk.jpg

start chipping off the soundhole stuff:

nyvhb8.jpg

my dog dignan stands guard & keeps me company:

if1t0p.jpg

Dignan inspects the old finish:

beaf41.jpg

• Members

done-ish...:

jhpr2c.jpg

still some blue that is present in the wood grain that is here and there, and the binding is a little rough, but after I get it all together, some sanding will help with that...

amongst other guitars:

207u7ix.jpg

• Members

So the big step now is what to do. I have the Martin high tension nylon strings ready... but I am thinking of using the black wood dye I have left over from my nonreverse firebird guitar build and putting 1 or 2 light rubs of the dye on just to the the grain to stand out and give it a light grey/charcoal look...

however, on the red oak of the firebord I am building, the wood did look purple-ish after only a rew coats with the dye... so I wonder if that was the red oak, or teh dye in general will just not look good with just a light treatment... plus the dye has been in a mason jar in the basement since I used it last summer... i wonder if it is still good?

I am not sure how it will take, so I wonder if just spraying on soem nitrocellulose finish and calling it done woudl be best...

:confused:

• Members

those have to be the worst sounding acoustic guitars in the world.

worse then the Hanna Montana plastic ones at Target? :p

for $50, it is my "left out in the open or thrown in th backseat when out of town, scratch pad idea box" and I am sure will sound even better with some nice nylon strings on it :D

• Members

actually stands a good chance of sound better than an ovation guitar

see, the things is that it's a copy, so it can't be as bad as the original :thu: It doesn't have the classic ovation specs, just a regular acoustic with the shape :freak:

• Members

i'd chuck a very light stain on it, it looks a little anemic... don't like the idea of the black though, sounds like something puddle of mudd or staind would use...

• Members

i'd chuck a very light stain on it, it looks a little anemic... don't like the idea of the black though, sounds like something puddle of mudd or staind would use...

the wood dye kinda "soaks" into the grain first, so it does look cool, but the reaction between the grain becoming light/smokey/faded purply like it did on the other guitar before I was done would be weaksauce on this one...

• Members

Post a pic of the stain on the other guitar I'm intruiged by this colour...

before:

2edbneh.jpg

after:

ipxd3a.jpg

I found these online...

the pic's flash shows the grain thing better then the full body shot I have... but it is more dye then I wanted total, but the guitar was looking purple-ish like I mentioned at the transparencey of dye that I had it at with only a few coats... so I did more until it got to a nicer black... but yeah, the grain soaked up the black asap and was nice and dark... worried about the in between wood spots looking weird on the acoustic.... but again, the solid body was red oak, so I am inclined to think that had something to do with the purply-ness

• Members

looks a lot better already. I say just get some sonic blue nitro paint to match that beautiful tele and be done with it.

but more importantly... dignan is cute as hell, he could be my good buddy rory's twin.

:thu:

vp9b7t.jpg

dignan fails at frisbee rings

...but with guitars, don't want doubles on color ;)

Archived