all hail THE MAGUS -- NPD Catalinbread content....

Bobby D

• Members

OK, so it was time for a new octave fuzz. Since the last time I had bought one, there have been a LOT of new pedals out there. a LOT.

Over the years, I have owned a few octave fuzz -- Fulltone Octafuzz and ultimate Octave....zvex Octane 1 (which I still miss), Voodoo Labs Proctavia, original Foxx Tone Machine, Original Tycobrahe Octavia, Roger Mayer Octavia (gave it to Brian Stoltz from the Funky Meters/Neville Brothers, he makes it sound SO MUCH better than I do)

So, I was not hip to Catalinbread, but I have always trusted and read the effects database here on HC, and now with Youtube demos of the various pedals -- it's a pedal-lovers paradise!

Ordered from Tone Factor, and they even sent me CANDY...I like candy, bubblegum and taffy, eat it with my sweetheart Sandy -- oops, MC Peepants still comes out sometimes (and so does Beavis)

o1.jpg

Open it up, and it is SEALED FOR YOUR PROTECTION. Actually that's a pretty smart thing to do, never know when something is gonna get wet in shipping. I try to do the same when I ship items of an electronic nature.

o2.jpg

A quick flick of my handy Al Mar SERE 2000, and she's out of the plastic:

o3.jpg

They tell you it's small, you read that it's small, but when you get it, you go "Damn, that's really small" :p

Stuck it on the pedalboard of doom, and love it. It plays well with my overdrive too, I like to use octave fuzz in front of a nice smooth overdrive to help take the rough edges off the octave fuzz.

I like it as well as anything I have had. Better than most of them. It is right up there with the top octave fuzzes I have owned. And I LOVE the size.....now, if they had made that Phaeton phaser and maybe a vibe type usit...and one of those fuzzes like the V8...and the hyperpak.....and maybe a delay......I could make a REALLY cool minipedalboard that would RAWK..

Seriously _ I remember living in NYC, and anything SMALL ruled, especially when you are going to gigs and sessions....

Anyhow, the Magus rules. Don't fear the Magus. Let your freak flag fly....

Damn, I gotta get in gear and hit the road, got a gig tonight and I'm gonna torture my keyboard player with TEH FUZZ....

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

people keep saying it's a ring mod?

I believe it is indeed a sort of ring mod, but not in the sense of an EH frequency analyzer or Maestro ring modulator.

It's for sure an octave fuzz, but one with a bit more controlled delivery to me. Although if you start playing double stops or chords, it gets nasty really fast.

• Members

I just won one off of ebay ten minutes ago....it looks cool as hell. I saw the pro guitar shop demo and was blown away by that. Where do u put it in your chain?

It is right after the wah...before the overdrive, vibe, and modulation/delay pedals. for me, that has always worked best. The Magus seems to play pretty well with my way too, but I won't know until after I do the gig tonight at real stage volume.

i don't think you will be unhappy if you like octave FUZZ. I like OCTAVE FUZZ. I like ALL FUZZ.

• Members

I love that they ship in ESDS bags.

I think that is a REALLY SMART way of keeping your pedals clean and moisture free....wonder why other builders don't do that? I was impressed.

Now, just a few MORE pedals....Skreddy Lunar Module, and some sort of vibe unit/phaser like thing. And then I'll be set. Yeah, that's right....just a couple more.....

• Members

I think that is a REALLY SMART way of keeping your pedals clean and moisture free....wonder why other builders don't do that? I was impressed.

Now, just a few MORE pedals....Skreddy Lunar Module, and some sort of vibe unit/phaser like thing. And then I'll be set. Yeah, that's right....just a couple more.....

They've got to have them laying around since PCB's always ship in them.

• Members

I only ship 'em in these bags because they block the government from reading their minds. "Conspiracy Shielding" I call it.

• Members

They've got to have them laying around since PCB's always ship in them.

Nope our PCBs don't ship in them. We buy the bags on purpose. However there is a nice guy in Canada who has a lot of these coming into his place of business and offered to send me samples. I am gonna figure out if the shipping of them from Canada to Portland nullifies the ecological benefits gained by reusing them in the first place.

• Members

Well, that's some quality soldering. :)

Happy NPD. Catalinbread pedals are the {censored}. And yeah, the size is very surprising. I looked at pics for weeks before getting mine, and was still shocked. Drummer said they were cute. :)

• Members
Thanks a lot man, it looks very nice and tidy. Plus it says Mojo on the PCB, haha
:D
I'm gonna look into the V8 Fuzz
:thu:

Actually it says "Moja" & "Tatu". Which are both track names from Miles Davis' "Dark Magus" which inspired the pedal and the name. The guitar playing on the recording is very cool, inspired no doubt by Hendrix's use of octave fuzz.

MilesDavis_DarkMagus.jpg

• Members
Actually it says "Moja" & "Tatu". Which are both track names from Miles Davis' "Dark Magus" which inspired the pedal and the name. The guitar playing on the recording is very cool, inspired no doubt by Hendrix's use of octave fuzz.

MilesDavis_DarkMagus.jpg

Ah ok, cool too

I'm still gonna think it says Mojo because that's beyond cool! ;)

Archived