How to change LEDs in pedals?

crazychu

• Members

I want to change the light in my OCD to a sexy BLUE LED light..

same goes with my BOSS pedals..

anyone know any resources out there with guides and such?[/quote

it should be as easy as looking at the existing LED, find the side that has a flat spot on it and remember which side that is. The flat spot is the Cathode - or negative side. The Anodode is the side w/ the longer leg (on a new LED). Desolder and remove the LED, and put the new LED in the spot oriented the same way.

• Members

lol I have that pic hanging on the wall in my little basement workshop.

I'm so retarded that I've looked that pic up a million times and still haven't printed it out! Anode, Cathode... I become dyslexic every friggin' time wire one of them up :slapforehead:

• Members

I'm so retarded that I've looked that pic up a million times and still haven't printed it out! Anode, Cathode... I become dyslexic every friggin' time wire one of them up :slapforehead:

I completelly forget about "real" naming. if you ask me in fivem inutes which is cathode I couldn't tell you. all I need to remember is "side with big thing inside is ground"

• Members

I did the Monte Allums Opto mod on my CS-3 and the white LED is extremely cool but VERY damn bright! Might be an idea to swop it out to a Blue one
:)

get a diffused LED not a clear one.

that'll make it seem not as bright.

• Members

maybe somebody has an idea what Leds i need for a DL-4 or FM-4 and how complicated is to change them???

I hadn't taken my MM4 or DL4 apart when I had them. I really can't say. But LED's are easy to change. It depends on how my stuff has to be moved first. Some are kinda hard to get to.

• Members

Be careful changing the stock LEDs from pedals with different colors, though, because the change in wavelength can cause unnatural oscillations in the pedal's circuitry. Most modern pedals have reverse-backed diodes to sort of absorb these fluctuations, but the more vintage and hand-made point-to-point boutique pedals can suffer from an LED that clashes with the original spec.

• Members

Be careful changing the stock LEDs from pedals with different colors, though, because the change in wavelength can cause unnatural oscillations in the pedal's circuitry. Most modern pedals have reverse-backed diodes to sort of absorb these fluctuations, but the more vintage and hand-made point-to-point boutique pedals can suffer from an LED that clashes with the original spec.

+1

especially if yorue going from a red or green led to a white, purple or blue led, which are generally much higher power. this will affect things like fuxxes, boosts, distortions and others. it wont effect types of pedals that are more DSP or digital-based.

• Members

maybe somebody has an idea what Leds i need for a DL-4 or FM-4 and how complicated is to change them???

I dunno about that, they are suspended above the PCB by little plastic poles. But you should be able to desolder them and just place a new one in there, just make sure the legs are long enough to go through them.

• Members

How do the LEDs create oscillations? I thought that since they run of DC, and are diodes, they don't create oscillations? Also, how would you calculate what wavelength a LED should be then?

• Members

+1

especially if yorue going from a red or green led to a white, purple or blue led, which are generally much higher power. this will affect things like fuxxes, boosts, distortions and others. it wont effect types of pedals that are more DSP or digital-based.

and don't forget, paying so much attention to the LED will cause the other components get jealous and start to make bad tone mojofication buildups coagulate the chakra flow

• Members

How do the LEDs create oscillations? I thought that since they run of DC, and are diodes, they don't create oscillations? Also, how would you calculate what wavelength a LED should be then?

wave hello to it and when it waves back break out your calipers.

Unless it's a rude LED and ignores you.

Archived