Headphone Amp

spenwah

• Members

Hey all, first post here.

I need to get an amplifier that just pushes some headphones. The mini amp I have now adds way too much distortion even on the clean channel. I like the distortion I get from my pedals, and want to hear loud, clear clean tone when I turn them off. I've looked at some products on Musician's Friend, but mostly they're just touted for their distortion. Any suggestions? What about using something marketed for iPods and such? I don't need the amp to add much, just amplify what's already there.

• Members

Try Cafe Walter. It's pretty much your sound as is. If your gear is good, then it will sound good. If your playing is bad, that will come out too. It's great for practicing. I use it for learning songs. You can add cd player, mp3 player, or whatever to it. A lot of bass players swear by it.

• Members

yeah i like my presonus h4.. but as you can tell by my sig i'm trying to sell it. it's great to have.. convenient.. but i really need monitors and i don't have any money

but yeah, h4 sounds great. does exactly what it's supposed to do. the behringer is significantly cheaper with more features.. i almost got it but i didn't

• Members

The PreSonus will require a line level signal. You'll still need a preamp to get from your pedal output to line level, which means either going through a guitar amp with a line out, using an active direct box, using a mixer with an instrument input, or using a dedicated preamp. I just did some searching, and I couldn't find any cheap active direct boxes with headphone outputs, or cheap mixers with instrument inputs. You'd probably have to spend at least $100.

If you just want something for practice, you're better off abandoning your pedals (for practice only) and getting one of the Vox Amplug models. If you really really want the pedals while practicing through headphones, then get a cheap passive DI and a cheap mixer with a mic input, like this and this. By no means am I recommending that gear for quality, but it will get it done.

• Members

The PreSonus will require a line level signal. You'll still need a preamp to get from your pedal output to line level, which means either going through a guitar amp with a line out, using an active direct box, using a mixer with an instrument input, or using a dedicated preamp. I just did some searching, and I couldn't find any cheap active direct boxes with headphone outputs, or cheap mixers with instrument inputs. You'd probably have to spend at least $100.

If you just want something for practice, you're better off abandoning your pedals (for practice only) and getting one of the Vox Amplug models. If you really really want the pedals while practicing through headphones, then get a cheap passive DI and a cheap mixer with a mic input, like
and
. By no means am I recommending that gear for quality, but it will get it done.

Well, I'm into noise, so I need the pedals. I just want something that will give me clean output without distorting like my itty bitty amp does. Will the Behringer AMP800 or PreSonus HP4 do that much? It's OK if it isn't deafeningly loud. I'm away from most of my gear for the summer, and I just want a way to hear it.

It would be nice if there was something in pedal form that would do this, like the MXR M-157, perhaps, but a quick search on Google and eBay suggests there aren't many of these around, and I couldn't find anything similar. It just seems to me like this is a really simple, basic idea, and there should be a really low cost way to do it.

Has anyone here used one of the Vox Amplugs? I looked at them on Musician's Friend, but most reviews there don't mention how it sounds clean.

• Members

Take a look at the Vox Amplugs. I hear good things.

If he was looking for just a headphone amp I'd say go for it. I've literally lost entire evenings since I got mine. However I don't know how well it would take pedals. But for just guitar into amPlug its great.

Archived