Route 66 clips?

• Members

I don't really have any clips but I own a v1. It's the best sounding comp I've ever found and a pretty decent tubescreamer. It's been a staple on my board for nearly a year. My only complaint with the pedal is it's pretty noisy and I play with 3 guys that also have them with the same issues. I have no exeprience with the v2's so I don't know they're the same.

• Members

I don't have any clips, and I don't have it in my chain, but this thing is uniqely awesome IMO. I have a bunch of other dirt, boutique and not so boutique, and I'm still having trouble parting with mine. I think you really have to try it out with your rig, but from what I see in your sig it should suit you well. What style do you play most, and what are you expecting from this box?

• Members

I have no exeprience with the v2's so I don't know they're the same.

Mine's V1 as well and it can produce some noise if the following applies:

1. You aren't actually playing. (between songs, etc.)

2. You have the gain cranked. (on either side)

3. You have both sides engaged at fairly high settings.

#2 and #3 dont apply if you eliminate #1 though.

V2 uses a noise gate, which can mess with your groove, so try it before you use it to see if it suits you.

• Members

What style do you play most, and what are you expecting from this box?

The sound I'm going for is the tone Albert Hammond Jr. from the Strokes gets on both the Strokes albums and his solo stuff. I know he uses a Jekyll and Hyde, but I think I would get more use out of a compressor than a distortion as the second effect.

• Members

The sound I'm going for is the tone Albert Hammond Jr. from the Strokes gets on both the Strokes albums and his solo stuff. I know he uses a Jekyll and Hyde, but I think I would get more use out of a compressor than a distortion as the second effect.

Brother, unless your rig mirrors Al's rig, forget getting there. You don't want to keep buying gear all your life and end up like all the SRV tone-chasers. Not saying you're trying to sound like him, but try one out and go for your own thing. If you really do want to sound like him, then get the J&H and every other piece of gear he has, then ask him if he'll teach you jow to play like him.

The OD on this box has a nice bite to it, and kicking in the Comp makes your solos sear through. The comp does a great job on its own through a clean channel too.

Bottom line is you're going to have to try it through your rig to see if you like it.

Are you up for a temp trade? I'm not using mine currently. If you have something cool you're not using, send it to me. I'll send you my rt66. If one of us decides to reneg, we'll trade back.

How's that sound?

• Members

The RT. 66 is a pretty good pedal. It definitely has some background noise when engaged, that can be cleaned up by a noise gate. I like the Comp better than the OD, but the OD is pretty good too.

• Members

Brother, unless your rig mirrors Al's rig, forget getting there. You don't want to keep buying gear all your life and end up like all the SRV tone-chasers. Not saying you're trying to sound like him, but try one out and go for your own thing. If you really do want to sound like him, then get the J&H and every other piece of gear he has, then ask him if he'll teach you jow to play like him.

I'm not trying to nail his exact sound or be like him, I just like his tone. He uses a strat and a fender deville amp, which coincidentally is the setup I use (had it way before I started listening to them). I'm not really satisfied with the overdrive on the Deville, so I figured a good overdrive pedal would fix that.

• Members

uh...I can send you one this weekend...as quick as I get my guit setup done...(been on bass for a while now).

Great for its price if you asked me...perhaps I would have just bought the OD side alone. Bass boost is big phat booty love. Like the others said about the gain - I never go past 10 o'clock, otherwise gain hum sets in...but the volume headroom is great, and altogether gives an amazing push on tubes.

As for solid states...its alright...if you only need some slight dirt.

Good hunting.

I have a DOD punkifier, Zvex SHO, Dr.Scientist Cleanness and a Blackbox Inferno...but the Route 66 really stands on its own ground despite the competition. Again, great for pushing tubes.

Archived