I can haz cheap tube distorshunz

• Members

I just got this in the mail last night:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ART-Tube-MP-Studio-Mic-Preamp?sku=180581

I got it for micing vocals and acoustic instruments, but I went ahead and plugged my Tele into it to see how it sounded.

Right now I'm doing recording, so I've got all my pedals on a table top by my computer, running direct into Guitar Rig 2.0.

So, I put the Tube MP in the chain, first before my dirt pedals, and then after. The Tube MP can run clean and sounds nice and warm, but you can also crank up the input level and it starts to overdrive. If you kick in the 20db boost, you can get some fairly thick distortion. And it sounds pretty good! It was one of those things where you go, "holy {censored}, where did that come from?" And I just ended up playing with it for the rest of the night.

It's kind of a warm, soft-clipping sound. Very inspiring - I was getting some Atomic 7/rockabilly type tones pretty easily. There aren't any tone controls, but I found I was able to shape the tone pretty well by using my other pedals. One particularly good combo was my Professor Tweed in front and my Tonemender (clean eq) behind - it sounded a cross between a blackface and a bassman to me.

Anyway, this is pretty awesome, especially for $30. You'd need to put it in a TB loop if you had it on your pedalboard, because there is no bypass. It runs on 9v AC instead of DC, so you need to use the supplied adapter.

Of course, I was playing it in a noisy room with fans going, and maybe on closer inspection it won't sound as good as I play it more. But still, pretty impressive.

Oh yeah, it also has a push-button limiter - I can haz cheap tube compressorz too.

• Members
I just got this in the mail last night:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ART-Tube-MP-Studio-Mic-Preamp?sku=180581

I got it for micing vocals and acoustic instruments, but I went ahead and plugged my Tele into it to see how it sounded.

Right now I'm doing recording, so I've got all my pedals on a table top by my computer, running direct into Guitar Rig 2.0.

So, I put the Tube MP in the chain, first before my dirt pedals, and then after. The Tube MP can run clean and sounds nice and warm, but you can also crank up the input level and it starts to overdrive. If you kick in the 20db boost, you can get some fairly thick distortion. And it sounds pretty good! It was one of those things where you go, "holy {censored}, where did that come from?" And I just ended up playing with it for the rest of the night.

It's kind of a warm, soft-clipping sound. Very inspiring - I was getting some Atomic 7/rockabilly type tones pretty easily. There aren't any tone controls, but I found I was able to shape the tone pretty well by using my other pedals. One particularly good combo was my Professor Tweed in front and my Tonemender (clean eq) behind - it sounded a cross between a blackface and a bassman to me.

Anyway, this is pretty awesome, especially for $30. You'd need to put it in a TB loop if you had it on your pedalboard, because there is no bypass. It runs on 9v AC instead of DC, so you need to use the supplied adapter.

Of course, I was playing it in a noisy room with fans going, and maybe on closer inspection it won't sound as good as I play it more. But still, pretty impressive.

Oh yeah, it also has a push-button limiter - I can haz cheap tube compressorz too.

i'm starting to get into recording so i'll check this out. thanks for the review :thu:

Archived