Fuzz? Big Muff?

JustSteve

• Members

I've always loved that really smooth, round sound of the lead in Guess Who's American Woman and others. Being a drummer (be kind:cool:) who dinks around on guitar and bass, I have no idea how to get that sound. Does anybody know what was used on that track or how to get something close? EH Big Muff Pi? Humbuckers? Strat?

• Members

The Big Muff is awesome for solo's. It gets muddy sometimes but with my Tele its just fun to mess around with cuz it's so crunchy. Really Hendrix-esque, except hendrix on meth if you turn up the gain. American Woman would sound good with it, even though they probably only use the amp gain channel in the original.

• Members

Hmm nvm i was wrong wen i said he got it from an overdriven marshall. he wasn't even using marshalls. It says here and on other sources that he used something called the Herzog which is basically a tube preamp built by his tech. http://www.axecentral.com/forums/effective/78166-american-woman-sound.html. I think Tech 21 also reisues a box for the american women tone as well.

Archived