Advice on EQs?

• Members

Hey folks, I'm looking to buy an EQ pedal that's a little more savvy than the Boss GE-7. I'm mainly looking at the MXR 10 band or the Barber Barb EQ. I plan to use it for a wide variety of styles from blues to classic rock to punk so I guess my questions are:

1. Which is more versatile?

2. Which is less noisy?

3. Which has the least negative effect on input tone?

4. Are there any other EQs that are just as good or better?

Any help is appreciated, as always.

• Members

I have a Bar B Q and a GE-7. I haven't tried the MXR, so I can't help you there. The Barber is a good pedal, true bypass when it's not in. I like it, very versitale, if a bit subtle. It's definitely not as aggresive as the GE-7 in terms of tone shaping.

I am starting to get into mods and am going to mod my GE-7 when I get around to it. If you are comfortable soldering, you might want to consider modding your GE-7 with some better components or picking up a modded pedal.

• Members

Yeah, the GE-7 is pretty noisy and the faders are too sensitive. I'm too busy with work and whatnot to do any modding. That's why I'm selling mine. Is your barbeq a keeper in your opinion?

• Members

I mainly got the Barb EQ to compliment the Angry lunchbox.

LilGibby.jpg

Since it's a one knob amp - I felt the need for some color shaping.

I'm curious, what are you playing through? Does it have more than one knob? I don't feel the need for EQ as much though my Bassman for example.

The barb EQ is a keeper, but mainly in the context of an amp without tone controls.

• Members

My amps are the new champ xd's. Vibro champ xd and super champ xd. They both have treble and bass knobs, but no mids or presence. My rig is pretty noise-free, and I want to keep it that way. The boss has to go, but I still want the tweakability that an EQ provides.

• Members

I have a MXR 10-Band EQ. I thought it made my guitar/amp sound slightly tinny. Might just be a weird guitar/pedal/amp combination. I still use it for recording.

I have a RC booster i'm using as a EQ now. My setup is very mid heavy - I don't need the mids tweaked, they are perfect as is.

With your setup I'd look into the Barb EQ as suggested above.

• Members

Thanks for the input fellas.

Modding the ge7 is not an option for me. The boss has got to go.

I'll be making my purchase today, so any further advice would be cool.

• Members

Danelectro Fish and Chips. The enclosure is more solid than it looks, the bypass is pretty good and it's quieter and cheaper than the Boss.

I'll second that. :thu:

Forget the fact that it is cheap and has a stupid name, it is fantastic value for money.

• Members

Looks like I'll A/B the MXR and F&C today. Thanks for the input fellas. I'm still very interested in the Barber though...

I have the Barber but since I bought the new amp I really don't need it anymore. Nice eq tho the ability to have 3 different voicings is really nice.Any takers.

What are you hoping to get for it?

• Members

I really like my MXR. It helps give more definition to my clean tones, which is great because the way I have my amp and OD pedal's built-in EQs for overdriven stuff doesn't make my amp sparkle as much without an EQ pedal (if that makes sense at all).

I haven't experienced any "tinny" tones with the pedal or noise. I'd recommend the MXR or the Fish N' Chips.

Like any EQ though, unless you know how to use it or play around for a while (or know what to listen for) the effect on tone will only be slight. It has a learning curve before you can really get it down, but I'd recommend an EQ just for broader frequency control for your rig.

• Members

Looks like I'll A/B the MXR and F&C today. Thanks for the input fellas. I'm still very interested in the Barber though...

What are you hoping to get for it?

I'd be happy with $70.00 its never seen a gig because I haven't been gigging for the last year.

Archived