OT: Anyone bought a car off ebay?

• Members

My dad got his latest car off eBay (2001 Audi A4 wagon) for 7 grand or so. It was a good experience, it was one state away (north carolina) and he just drove down for the day and checked it out, drove back in the new car. I think it helps to know a lot about cars, because then you can inspect it yourself to make sure you're not getting screwed by the P.O.

• Members

Three years ago, I wanted a rather rare Audi & found one at a dealer outside of Philly at a terrific price. Sent $200. to hold it & asked them to drive it over to a local Audi dealer for inspection. Paid that dealer another $85. to go over it for trouble. At that point, my risk is out there, but showing good faith on both sides. Spoke to that Audi dealer & asked him if it was a good car ? Yeah

Next day, Mrs Natural & I used some frequent flyer miles to fly to Philly, caught a commuter train from the airport to near the dealer where they picked us up. The train itself and the train station in Philly were a neat cultural experience. Drove the car home. Not a lick of trouble 50k miles later

• Members
Three years ago, I wanted a rather rare Audi & found one at a dealer outside of Philly at a terrific price. Sent $200. to hold it & asked them to drive it over to a local Audi dealer for inspection. Paid that dealer another $85. to go over it for trouble. At that point, my risk is out there, but showing good faith on both sides. Spoke to that Audi dealer & asked him if it was a good car ? Yeah

Next day, Mrs Natural & I used some frequent flyer miles to fly to Philly, caught a commuter train from the airport to near the dealer where they picked us up. The train itself and the train station in Philly were a neat cultural experience. Drove the car home. Not a lick of trouble 50k miles later

What car are you talking about?
I drive an 87 5ktq and love it :)

• Members

I never used eBay to purchase a car, but my neighbor has done so about 3 or 4 times. So I suppose they've all been positive experiences to this point. But he's a car guy and knows exactly what to look & listen for from a seller over the phone and in emails to get a general idea of what he's dealing with before getting to see the vehicle in person.

• Members

Two guys in my area (one of whom I'm chummy with) have purchased Ferrari's off eBay. One was a newer modena (last year of production) and one was one of those cheap Ferrari's from the 70's (308 or w/e it's called)...
Both had good experiences.
I hate when people buy a car like a Ferrari just to say they own one... the latter of the two that I mentioned can be had for like $30k, and we all know that no one likes a $30k Ferrari from the 80's. :(

• Members

I bought a car off ebay a few years back. A VS Commodore.
Even know the guy was rich (because of the ridiculous house, other cars, etc)
I still had I bad gut feeling so I requested he get the car looked over be a local mechanic. It only costs $50, I said if it is fine I will pay the extra $50, if it is bad he has to pay it.
We went down to the mechanics to fine out the head gasket was f#%ked, so the purchase ended. :cry:

Archived