Torn between two muffs (byoc build question)

Lanefair

• Members

So I'm on to my Large Beaver build, but I have to choose between triangle and rams head specs. Am I right in thinking that triangle is much sought after and pink floydish etc and the rams head is heavier?

I don't need my muff to be brutal, but i don't want an overdrivey muff either, I want to go from white stripes rythm to infinite sustaining leads.

Advise me all the way.

• Members

Buy two.

Seriously, doesn't the kit come with sockets for the various transistors so you can switch between the two? If not, how much desoldering is involved in changing everything around between the two?

IIRC there are... hang on a sec....

wy2kiZBadtk
Ram's Head

E4XaywTSYbQ
Triangle

I'm buggered if I can tell the difference :confused:

• Members

There's a lot more to it than swapping transistors, it's resistors etc. As much as I'd like to have the option to change specs, I'll probably never care enough to get round to it (although I care enough to make the right choice now, strange huh).

Listening to those I'd probably go for the triangle, but I couldn't say why.

• Members

There are a lot of ways to make a muff sound like {censored} unfortunately. But for solos I find it milky smooth. It's hard to describe. I remember getting my LBM for christmas and my gf was like 'why would you want to sound like that?'

• Members

There are a lot of ways to make a muff sound like {censored} unfortunately. But for solos I find it milky smooth. It's hard to describe. I remember getting my LBM for christmas and my gf was like 'why would you want to sound like that?'

Weird. I'm really tempted to build the BYOC Muff kit because it seems like it would be a fairly versatile heavy distortion/fuzz box (not totally sold on my Tonebender/Fuzzface for that job), and the whole "legendary classic stompbox" thing probably affects that somewhat, but half the time I hear Muffs they sound rotten.

That said, Gearmandude (is he or isn't he Jack Black?!) has a pretty cool sounding shootout video up:

[YOUTUBE]6wrq9o_tw48[/YOUTUBE]

Now if that's what a Big Muff sounds like, I'll be happy.

Archived