Tape Echo...yummy

BgUnited

• Members

I'm really diggin the demos i've heard of the Danelectro Reel Echo but I'm looking more into a DL4. I was wondering if the Reel Echo is more to a Roland Space Echo or a Maestro EP-1? Those are the closest things that the DL4 has to a Reel Echo so I was just wondering which it resembled more?

p.s. Are the Boss Dm-3's and Boss Dm-2's pretty much the same in their features and sound?

• Members

Oh, and the thing I love about the Reel Echo is this fast swirly sound it gets. It might be a standard for tape echos but I've never owned one so I don't know.

Here are some different sound clips that you might get an idea of what I'm looking for.

I really like the sound of the solo from 2:28-2:40

I also really like the sound of the guitar from 0:40 onwards

http://youtube.com/watch?v=86CwYcQKIAQ

I really want this tone as well from 0:26-0:33

I think you get the idea of what I'm going for. Can the DL4 get this tone?

• Members

Nice!

can you get those swirly tones that I'm looking for (from the videos)

its subtle warble.

which i like,

what your looking for it sounds more like a trem and delay, especially in the first video.

• Members

I had a Space ECho and I compared it directly to the DD-20 and I will be damned if the DD-20 didn't nail it. It was so close that I sold my Space Echo - I think TikiRocker did the same thing. It really was so close that it was negligible.

B

The thing that I'm stuggling with is this..

I will use the reel echo for the tones in those videos, warble like echo stuff and not so much "delay".

I also really like the Deluxe memory man. I would use it for a vibrato/rotary effect and a little bit of delay here and there but mainly for that sweet classic Vibrato sound.

My question is, since the memory man is so called "built in to the DL4" could I get the tones i'm looking for out of the DL4? Secondly could I get the warble effect that the Reel Echo has with the DL4? Like maybe on the Multihead setting?

• Members

its subtle warble.

which i like,

what your looking for it sounds more like a trem and delay, especially in the first video.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=OM_iNh04UE8

http://youtube.com/watch?v=5MJ-4FazDhY&feature=user

This guy is getting that tone and the only pedals engaged are the Rat and Reel Echo. He said he isn't using the Chorus. So I know I can get that effect with just distortion and the reel echo. But it would just be so much more convenient to have the memory man tone and reel echo tone into one pedal like the DL4.

• Members

The thing that I'm stuggling with is this..

I will use the reel echo for the tones in those videos, warble like echo stuff and not so much "delay".

I also really like the Deluxe memory man. I would use it for a vibrato/rotary effect and a little bit of delay here and there but mainly for that sweet classic Vibrato sound.

My question is, since the memory man is so called "built in to the DL4" could I get the tones i'm looking for out of the DL4? Secondly could I get the warble effect that the Reel Echo has with the DL4? Like maybe on the Multihead setting?

In my experience, all of these boxes have subtle differences that make them what they are. I don't think you will get a "rotary" effect from the DMM- the modulation is just on the echoes and is relatively subtle. The DMM is the delay that I've kept over everything else just because it is beautiful in it's own right. The question always becomes "is the subtle difference worth it to me in price and performace?" For example, I have the Boss GT-10 and it's great, but I'm still collecting analog pedals to play with because some of the subtle differences are worth it to me right now to play with.

Also, don't buy the hype. The DD-20 was so dead-on close to the real thing that it made NO sense to keep the Space Echo. TikiRocker and others on the board can confrm this- it's just not true that "nothing digital" compares. It compared very well and in some ways is superior.

• Members

its subtle warble.

which i like,

So pretty much what I'm looking for is "warble"?

If so what pedals can do this? Can the DL4?

Can the DL4 get vibrato type tones, like the memory man can?

and I'm not looking for the "exact" thing I just want similiar to the original

This all I want answered..

Can I get that warble tone that the Reel Echo has on the DL4 and same thing with vibrato and the memory man on the DL4

• Members

see i found the re-20 even to be a little off from the real thing.

enough to make me buy a space echo and ditch the boss.

Well, "exact" is not the word but so damn close- that I was able to tweak the DD-20 to within "exactness" - The tape echo was just to "clean and precise" sounding. I liked the warmth of the DMM over the clarity of the tape echo. The digital delay was MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH closer to the tape echo than the DMM. Of course, my Space Echo had just been maintained so it was probably more up to original specs...maybe TOO clean!

• Members

It's impossible to truly mimic analog tape echoes with modeling boxes, just the same as it is impossible to mimic the true sound of a valve amp with a modeler. It's just not ever going to happen.

All I really want answered is, can I get the warbe tone of the Reel Echo close to that on a DL4? and can I get the DMM's vibrato tones on a DL4?

• Members

It's impossible to truly mimic analog tape echoes with modeling boxes, just the same as it is impossible to mimic the true sound of a valve amp with a modeler. It's just not ever going to happen.

But who cares? You can't make my DMM or my Space Echo sound like my digital delays- But the digital delays and amp models can get very, very, very close and "close enough" so that it doesn't matter. The other thing is that there is NO ONE SOUND for a "tape echo" or a "valve amp" they all sound different. Maxon analog delay didn't sound like my DMM- the DD-20 sounded closer to it than the Maxon- so the analogy is false- the digital box did a better imitation of one analog box than another analog box did. :idk:

• Members

All I really want answered is, can I get the warbe tone of the Reel Echo close to that on a DL4? and can I get the DMM's vibrato tones on a DL4?

The answer is "probably going to be pretty damn close"

The reel echo is a digital delay designed to sound like an old tape echo and the DMM is an analog delay with modulation.

The DL-4 models these or similar units- so yes, it will be pretty damn close- whether or not it is "EXACT" enough is an matter of degrees and how much it matters to you.

• Members

The answer is "probably going to be pretty damn close"

The reel echo is a digital delay designed to sound like an old tape echo and the DMM is an analog delay with modulation.

The DL-4 models these or similar units- so yes, it will be pretty damn close- whether or not it is "EXACT" enough is an matter of degrees and how much it matters to you.

What I was planning on getting before I got into the DL4 was a Deluxe Memory Man and a Reel Echo but then I wanted more options, a tap tempo and reverb. So I thought the DL4 would be perfect, but I'm deciding that I might go with an RE-20 instead. So that will give me the DMM, Reel Echo, and RE20 instead of 2 DL4's

• Members

I'm friends with a lot of pedal designers and almost everyone that I know has nothing good to say about Line-6 DL4 delays. If you have the money to spend on something like that I suggest you look around some more and get yourself something that will last you for a long long time. There is a delay pedal by MG Music that has to be the prettiest, warmest sounding analog delay I have ever heard. It's called the "That's Echo Folks" pedal. It has a optical sensor cable that you can connect to it that reads how close or how far your foot is from it. The closer it is the slower it gets, when you step on it it gives you the closest to infinite repeat that you can get to. I say look into it. www.mgmusic.net/ingles/

• 5 weeks later...
  • Members

I had a Space ECho and I compared it directly to the DD-20 and I will be damned if the DD-20 didn't nail it. It was so close that I sold my Space Echo - I think TikiRocker did the same thing. It really was so close that it was negligible.

B

Hey Bryan, long time.

You will recall that I was one of the first people to have a DD20 at this forum and who sang its praises when the majority didn't like it and were all into the DL4's and the like. You would have been one of the other few people at that time who had a DD20 like me also.

I remember that we both found out, in a particular thread, that we both had owned Space Echo's and had A/B'd them next to the newly purchased DD20's. I remember telling you I sold my Space Echo because I was able to get the same sound and tone from the DD20. The sound was so close I couldn't barely tell the difference and based on that I just sold my Space Echo ... I recall you saying you had the same results and did same.

I still have my DD20 and still feel the same way about it ...

Best, TR.

• Members

well ,to stick to the subject and not go off on a tangent. i have a/b'd a dm2 and a re201 space ech with dl4..not close. it acted similar but it didnt have any of the character of the delays, so no. but the dl4 has a great looper i think..

Archived