Dot VS Sheraton.

mrweems

• Members

what are the main differences?

I know the headstock.

Pickups are the same.

The sheratons body looks a little wider?

Sher neck is 3 piece maple.

Dot's headstock looks gross..

What about the electronics do they need upgrading? Are they the same?

• Members

I had a Dot for about a month before trading it in. The thing would never stay in tune for me even after setting it up. The Sheraton was much better but I couldn't get over the gold hardware.

In the end I went with none of the above and purchased a '72 Reissue Telecaster Custom. Not a hollow body but what can I say? I love teles.

If I had to choose btw these two the Sheraton would win hands down.

Just me though.

• Members

Both have the usual {censored}ty Korean electronics. The pickup selector switch is the first thing to go. If you buy secondhand, I'd go straight for the wiring upgrade.

Gold hardware is stinky.

Hardware is metric on both guitars. A big pain if you want to change the bridge. A forumite gave me a tip a few months ago that the Tonepros metric bridge and metric tailpiece will fit the Sheraton. I'm considering trying this out on the Dot in the future.

Actually one thing came to mind after reading this thread (http://forums.epiphone.com/Default.aspx?g=posts&t=3384). When I had the Sheraton rewired, my luthier had to get mini-pots because the F-holes were cut really small. Normal sized pots simply wouldn't go in and the Sheraton had no notch cut in the bridge pickup cavity to allow the electronics to be thread through (some 335's do have this).

A Dot well modded looks great. This one looks fabulous.

Dot-Full.jpg

Archived