UK Customs. When ordering from the US

tubezipper

• Members

for those of you in the UK

when you ordered from the US, did you have any customs to pay?

or something

i never did when receiving packages from the US

Because i'm buying a pedal from the us and not sure what will happen:confused:

help me out?:)

• Members

A lot of times you can bring items in 'under the radar', but you are ALWAYS responsible for import duty (3%) and import VAT (17.5%).

I have things coming in all the time from the US (and elsewhere) and the only times you 'delay' paying imports seems to be via domestic mail services that will fit through your door. Even then there is a good chance it can end up in a Parcelforce depo waiting for you to pay... UPS, Fedex, etc, will all invoice you for monies owed to HMCE.

• Members

Haha - that's interesting what you're talking. I thought that foreign customs work in another way but no - everything like we have it in Russia. The only thing that we have up to $400 no-tax level.
Thank god, customs became more democratic recently and i've got a number of equipment from forumites and ebay flawlessly.

• Members

You got stung' for duty and VAT = 20.5% (17.5% + 3%).

Funny, I've had a PM discussion with a forumite this very morning about this very thing...

Yes "stung", as opposed to "got away with". Anything to do with tax in this country at the moment can be fairly described as stinging.

Won't stop me importing and taking the gamble though with the present exchange rate.

• Members

yes, but when they open the boxes and see dod pedals they assume they're for spares/repair....

hahahaha....

I've been lucky I know that, I've bought so much stuff from the US over the years.

• Members

Because i'm buying a pedal from the us and not sure what will happen:confused:

help me out?
:)

Don't worry about it, hopfully the posty will knock on the door, hand you your pedal and that will be that.

• Members

i'm 50/50 on guitars, one got through, one didn't.... pedals, cds, {censored} liek that, about 2/3 get through ok, but it's getting tighter, i think the last 3 all got charges slapped on...

• Members
Yes "stung", as opposed to "got away with". Anything to do with tax in this country at the moment can be fairly described as stinging.

Totally agree... it sickens me how much I have to pay 'em, only to have to claim it back and then pay them more!! :mad:

Archived